Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anybody use the bias tape makers? >

Does anybody use the bias tape makers?

Does anybody use the bias tape makers?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

I bought the bias tape maker....have had a few weeks and haven't used it....i was also wondering about the cutter...I keep looking at it wondering if it is worth it? Would it actually save me time? is it faster than a shape cut?
IDK?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 AM

I have the Clover bias makers in every size and I love them. I use them for stems, etc when doing applique. They make quick work of a boring chore, so that I can get on with my quilting--the fun part.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:34 PM

I bought the Simplicity bais tape maker. I love it. I make bias tape quite often and have most of the sizes. After I bought the Simplicity, some one posted a site to buy the different size tips. Today in Joann's I found that they have them in almost any size you can think of. You still have to fold the tape in half.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

I don't know what you meant by folding the tape in half if you use the bias machine. I put the fabric strip in unfolded. I am loving the 2 1/2 strip tip!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:57 PM

After it comes out of the bias tape maker, I press it in 1/2 so it will go around the edge of what ever I using it on. Then I can sew it down on both sides at the same time.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM

No, I dont' have any special doo hickeys for bias tape, though I've seen the cool one Marcia is talking about. But I still use masking tape as my guide for a quarter inch. :lol:
Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 AM

I have clover, too. I have not had a problem with it except you need to use the tape fairly quickly or it will lose it's folds. Unless you put the iron on tape on the bottom. Great for stained glass quilts! I like the idea of folding it in half...hmm... make it twice the size you need then fold and use. Gotta try that. Thanks!
bev. :]
Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have the Clover 1/4" that I use for stained glass appliqué and stems. I was thinking of getting some bigger sizes but since seeing Maksi's link I won't bother - that is brilliant! :D
Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I have been cutting my binding first, and then on to my quilt pieces. So I iron it in half and then wrap it around a cardboard toilet paper center so that it holds it's crease until I am ready for it. You could do the same with any of the bias tape you make...just put a pin in the end to hold it on the roll until you are ready for it.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned

I sell several of each of these machines each week. I love my bias tape maker machine by simplicity. I make lots of things with straps so it comes in handy.

The rotary cutting machine by simplicity is great if you cut a lot of strips. It is perfect for making rugs, making jelly rolls and locker hooking. There is a tip sheet I send out with it. It cuts with a pressure cut and not a razor cut. You adjust the pressure with a screwdriver.

I have posted photos of me using both on my blog. Stop by and check them out. www.IHaveANotion.blogspot.com

Hopefully you'll be able to make a decision if either of these tools are right for you.

My website is www.IHaveA-Notion.com stop by anytime.

Smiles,
Kelly