Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else have a real problem with green?

Does anyone else have a real problem with green?

This drives me crazy!!! I have all kinds of shades of green in my stash and can never find the right one - or ones. I avoid green like I would avoid a runaway train. However, I want to use them. I organize my stash drawers by color all the time. Most of them make perfect sense but my green drawer is a disaster. Avocado, celery, olive, kelly, hunter, lime, etc. Why is it that I cannot for the life of me make sense of green? Maybe a food issue??

I think there are too many shades of green. The one I might want is never in my stash. I have a problem with orange. I just don't appreciate it. I barely consider it a color. Must have been because I drank too much Orange Crush when I was a child.

Dina

Blog Entries
    It's the same thing with my machine embroidery thread. I bought a set of 300 colors, and it came with a lot of greens. I also purchased additional spools of green from different manufacturers. I never have the green I envision for my embroidery. However, I keep running out of sage...
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

It's funny that you mention that. I've been organizing my fabrics and I separated a whole stack of what I'm affectionately calling Ugly Greens. Not really sure what I had in mind for them! Green does seem to be a tricky color.

I have a friend who is a great gardner, and she told me you have to get the greens right in a flower garden before you can add color. Must apply to fabric, too.
    Since I gain weight reading cookbooks, why can't I lose weight watching a fitness program?

I love green...favorite color...all greens, especially the darker ones and the avocado greens. I don't use the really bright greens, tend to stay with the duller ones because of the colors I like. There are a lot of shades of green, and different ones go better with different colors. I have 2 bins of red, 1 bin of blue, 1/2 bin each of purple and pink, 1/2 bin each of yellow and orange, and 4 bins of greens (as well as bins of black, brown, tans, and lights). I think the more you work with color, the better you can figure out what is the best green to use with the other colors you are choosing for your quilt.

I think greens are difficult because the blue undertone and the yellow undertones are so far apart. I have trouble figuring which drawer it goes in..blues, beiges, browns or green. I constantly find FQs in the wrong drawer.

Maybe we should have a "green with envy" challenge. Everyone mails their ugliest green fat quarter to the person next on the list and you HAVE to make a quilt top with the fat quarter to mail back to the original owner of the fat quarter. They can do with it as they wish. LOL

PS I just made this up, but it kinda sounds fun.
    ~Laura

Wise words from my 7 year old niece: "Aunt Laura, you must think you can't have too much fabric like a pizza can't have too much cheese." Well said, Gracie!

Quote Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
    I have a friend who is a great gardner, and she told me you have to get the greens right in a flower garden before you can add color. Must apply to fabric, too.
    That really makes sense!! I have a real problem with greens also!!!

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I'm not a green person either; my stack of greens never has what I need and I've been building stash for over 30 years! I get my greens from my 87 year mother's stash much of the time, LOL.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast