Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: does anyone get stiff hand from quilting

Do any of you get stiff fingers or pain in the palms of your hands when you do hand stitching/quilting. If so what do you do for this?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes That is why I have to take a breakEvery 15 to20 min.

I do a little bit, but I think it is because I am 55 and the Arthritis is setting in. I stop for a bit and go to the kitchen or play here on the computer or even watch a little telelvision, then I start back up again. Sometimes I do something else quilt related, like look up patterns or look at my fabric and think about the next quilt I want to do. Anything to give the hand a rest. I only have two and I must take care of them.

well I am 54 and today, my hand hurts. The palm up one finger. Hurts to bend my fingers and I was not quilting long.

do some hand exercises, get a squishy ball from the dollar store and squeeze it while watching tv I I sometimes flap my hands at the wrist to loosen them up when I quilt for too long.

I am 26 and get this way! I find that if I stitch for to long I will get a cramp/swelling in the thumb area of my left hand (the hand I hold my project with) and in my right hand fingers! I find that it is worse when I have not stitched in a long time! What I do to releave the ache is I soak my hands in the hottest water I can handle, and then hold some heated rice packs. Sometimes the swelling gets so bag I can't make a fist the heat helps SO MUCH!!

I also get this way when I decide to crochet something. Since I don't crochet very often it takes a while for my hands/wrist to get use to it.

The advice that Up North gave is great, here is a website that also lists some exersised for sewing! http://www.its-sew-karren.com/hand-exercises.html

Blog Entries
    I have to do make sure my hands are good and warm and then do hand stretches, take frequent breaks, and change hand positions frequently. I have a tennis ball that I roll around in my hand like a massager, especially around my thumb area, or massage the sore areas with my opposite hand. I also will use rubber finger tips, they help to grip the needle and you don't have to pull as hard/or grip as hard with them on. It really is a trial and error to find out what works best for you. Keeping your wrists as straight as you can may help also...

I have RA and have to be very careful when quilting - if I sit too long my hips get stiff, my left hand thumb hurts often. Warmth is what is needed... also if I know I'm going to be quilting for awhile - I will take an Aleve prior to starting - that helps alot.

Last year, I had a quilt to finish for Christmas, and was hand quilting all day. I kept a heating pad turned on, and would take that and wrap around my hand every so often. Soaking your hand in hot epsom salt water will help tremendously also

thank you all for the great tips. I will use them

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast