Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Does anyone knot tie quilts?

Blog Entries
    I think I would like to try a knot quilt. What kind of batting should I use? thin or thick? cotton or poly??? Please advise!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    The good thing about tying is that you can use thick batting with no problems. I've only used polyester for tying b/c cotton will get lumpy unless you tie every couple of inches (or whatever the label says)
    I use perle cotton but others use a variety of things. I make a square knot and cut the ends to whatever length you wish (mine are fairly short)
    One of my boys likes tied quilts more than any :)

When I first started quilting most people made tied quilts, it was either that or hand quilting. I got a lot of my scraps from a lady who had a cottage industry making tied quilts for sale. She had several women working for her.
    Most people use thick batting but it is up to you.

I still tie quilts once in a while. I like the thick batting.

you should read the batting packages- there are some that tell you they are good for tied quilts- also you do not want one that requires quilting every 2"-4" that is pretty dense quilting and tying is not a method that will give you satisfactory results.

I tie lots of quilts. I use crochet cotton to tie them. I use extra loft poly batting...usually Fairfield

Blog Entries
    I love the look of puffed quits when they are tied. That's the ones I was raised with and what Grandma taught me. They are warm and comfortable to sleep under, and as couch throws they are marvelous, soft as clouds but heavy and warm. I love them.

I like a nice thick batting for a quilt to be tied. love the look! i have seen thinner quilts tied too. it's just personal preference.

I use bonded polyester quilt batting and have tied with several different kinds of threads (embroidery floss, crochet thread, yarn) Whatever the recipient preferred.

If I tie it is usually because I am looking for a certain look. So often my quilts that have ties were first quilted and I add the ties more as decorative.