Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone miss being a quilting newbie? >

Does anyone miss being a quilting newbie?

Does anyone miss being a quilting newbie?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:04 AM

No because there are so many things that I don't know how to do but still want to learn them. Even though I've been quilting for 16 years now it seems like I'm still a newbie in many, many ways. I may get in a slump every now & then & not quilt for several weeks but it sure doesn't take much to pull me out & get me back to my machine.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Yes. I miss the days when I didn't know I didn't have the skills yet to do a certain task and just did it. I miss the days when I was so proud of myself when something came out right. Now it's just "that's too easy" and I tend to get bored more easily.

Cari
Agree with this.
I would add that I look at some patterns now and think 'that's too much trouble'.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:01 PM

I am a quilting beginner and began sewing this year. While my skillset definitely said newbie I honestly didn't possess that mindset at all. I entered sewing with very ambitious goals and a time frame in mind. I knew I wanted to sew couture and heirloom items. I was also aware that patternmaking was in my future. I didn't wait until I was ready to tackle these subjects. I jumped right in.

Asking questions lead me to Suzy Furrer and her wonderful patternmaking school in California. It wasn't a question of my readiness at the time but where I should be when I arrive. I have her classes on Craftsy too. Our conversation revealed the gaps that I would have and how to address them. Enter FIT in NY and two local sources to supplement. Things are beginning to make sense.

There's always the unexpected. I can thank Karl Lagerfeld for that. His documentary Signe Chanel was really the catalyst for everything that followed. Watching the seamstresses at work drove home my desire for learn couture. Everything that happened afterward was an outgrowth of that desire.

Of course I'd enjoy heirloom sewing. And as a self-professed Janeite I adore period fashion a great deal. Martha Pullen here I come! Not today of course, but it's in the works. Much like Hannibal from the A-Team the plan has come together. All the pieces fit.

By the time I stumbled onto your doorstep I'd tried my hand at embroidery, expect to add in applique, and developed a major crush on a certain fabric line! When quilting entered the picture the other things had already been sorted out. And the would be hobby has taken shape into something greater. That was always the plan. I wasn't sure how I'd get there. But now I am.

I'm the kind of person who does her research and dives right in. It isn't haphazardly done. There's always a method to my madness. That's probably how it looks to outsiders. But the results speak for themselves. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the thing you're missing is really related to your goals and challenges. I set the bar pretty high. Not as self-sabotage. But truly because I knew I could meet that height and then some.

A couple of years ago I decided to take up photography. Talk about your learning curve! I was shooting manually in a year's time and have a studio and more food props than one person should possess in their home. Little achievements like these inspire greater feats. This year I set my sights on writing. I conservatively set my goal to read 150 books. My best result was 50 titles in one year. But in a month's time I chastened myself for playing it safe. So I decided on 250 instead. Of course I could have fallen head first. That's pretty audacious. But I'm a hair shy of 300 and the month remains.

All things are possible. I live in the constancy of that reality. Whenever I find myself mulling over the same it's always a case of zero challenge or one I've met and bested with ease. I need more. And when I meet that need I find myself happily sprinting towards the finish line. And there's more to come of course.

I have this unflinching belief that we all have the capacity to do big things. But we're rarely encouraged to try or hear anyone suggesting the same. You most certainly can start your own fabric line, have a quilt displayed at a show, or teach for Craftsy too! What's stopping you?

I read a book earlier this year which echoed the same. It's good. So bloody good. Nevermind the limitations. Chase your dreams instead.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:30 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I don't miss it for myself because I teach others to quilt. I love seeing the lights come on in their eyes!
Old 12-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

When I was a newbie I could blame a lot of booboos on that. Now I can't use that excuse any longer. lol Seriously though, I am not sad at all because there are still so many patterns and techniques I want to learn that allow me the "newbie" moment with the knowledge of a seasoned quilter under my belt for support.

I also look at the path of my quilting adventure - I started with training wheels and now I can tackle mountain terrain with steep downhill runs. Where I was once proud of just getting a 1/4" seam, I can now be proud of curved seams, or the perfect applique.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Nope, 40 years and I'm still amazed, still learning new techniques, still love looking, being inspired, seeing the directions the quilting world is going.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:00 PM

I made my first quilt about 8 years old, green and orange diagonal set with left over baby sister flannel for back.

I am now 65 years old and still get up every morning excited to put needle to thread and cloth.
Care ZERO about all the extras we could buy.
Quit buying fabric in 2001. Still excited, every day. None of it is really about the buying, that is just an addiction.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:18 PM

Genden, yes, I totally agree! And that is the main reason I prefer to do samplers these days! "What block shall I make today? What will I learn or experiment with?
Having started late in life it is a constant joy!
Old 12-02-2016, 05:22 PM

sorry, duplicated it!
Old 12-02-2016, 05:47 PM

start my 7th yr of quilting this coming Jan. and still feel like a newbie! while I've made many quilts, especially since retirement, I try to make sure that I choose some that are a challenge due to new technique, etc. Plus I added in long arm quilting, which I still feel very new on despite 3 years (and several classes). And I've been teaching beginner classes for 3 yrs now (I'm a retired educator and work with another former educator who has even more quilting experience). So no, not feeling jaded at all. And a quilt show always energizes me.