Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone miss being a quilting newbie? >

Does anyone miss being a quilting newbie?

Does anyone miss being a quilting newbie?

Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 PM

Hahahaha!

Kalamaquilts, you beat me in both age and duration. I'm 60 and wouldn't go back to 12 for anything!
Old 12-02-2016, 07:53 PM

I've quilted off and on for years, and sometimes feel like a newbie, and sometimes like an old hand! I still have dozens of things I want to try, and tons of projects in my minds eye, and several in various stages of collecting, and drawing, and sketching. I still get excited when I see something that gives me that "WOW" feeling, and I'm constantly in awe by what I see people here post. I admire the talent and aspire to reach those "levels". As I newbie I just dived in and did things my own way, and learned as I went. I haven't lost that drive yet I guess!
Old 12-02-2016, 07:59 PM

No, I still feel new.. I still love it, and I still talk about it.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:35 PM

A few months ago I realized that I have made quilts for everyone that I want. When I realized that, it gave me pause. But then my DD asked if I could make a baby quilt for a co-worker and DH's niece told us her second was on the way and...guess you never really run out of people that you want to gift with a quilt.

Jaded. No never. Depressed because of weather or family situation--absolutely right now. My sewing room is my sanctuary. I can create, deconstruct, get lost in possible projects or use my stash to blot the tears.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:47 AM

Sounds to me like you need a new hobbie.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:39 AM

I actually still think of myself as a newbie...I have come a long way over the past 6 years but I still have a lot to learn and enjoy new challenges with every project. I am always in awe of the talent and skills of other quilters...especially when I go to quilt shows.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:58 AM

oh no, i am still learning. i love it. take things apart and put back together
i love it .
Old 12-03-2016, 05:39 AM

There are so many new techniques, fabrics, supplies & styles & so on & so on that makes me think that we are always in the "newbie stage". We have maybe learned or some have mastered, all the basics & traditional quilting methods but there is still always new things to learn if we want to. We can take it as far as we want or if we are satisfied, then we can just continue doing as we are doing. I have sewed since I was a kid & have quilted about 25 plus years. I still get excited over fabric & buying a new tool or ruler or whatever it may be & still stay up all night when I am involved in a project. I love the process except the binding part but I do it since it has to be done to complete a quilt. lol With all of that said I guess I do still feel like a "newbie" ...... but maybe with a little less ripping! lol
Old 12-03-2016, 05:52 AM

Default Newbie

[QUOTE=Cari-in-Oly;7710688]Yes. I miss the days when I didn't know I didn't have the skills yet to do a certain task and just did it. I miss the days when I was so proud of myself when something came out right. Now it's just "that's too easy" and I tend to get bored more easily.

I have to agree with you Cari. Seems we are in the minority. Now I look at things and judge them by how much work would have to go into it. I still like having something work out right but I have become more of a 'finished is better than perfect' quilter.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:55 AM

I still love quilting and I am still learning. However, I now know quite a bit and I no longer read every quilting forum, post, message and each page of magazines so eagerly. I tend to jump from topic, glance at something and think oh that is so-and-so's technique for such-and-such and then I look at something else. When I was going to get a longarm, I think I read every post even going back years on www.mqresource.com and the APQS forums. Yeah I kind of miss the blank slate enthusiasm I used to have, though I am still having lots of fun