Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone miss being a quilting newbie? >

Does anyone miss being a quilting newbie?

Does anyone miss being a quilting newbie?

Old 12-03-2016, 05:56 AM

Not me ! Never going to miss all the hours I spent ripping out seams that were not the 'scant 1/4" inch. I find now that I enjoy quilting so much more because I quilt what I like and not what others like. I personally hate to make a block with all those little pieces and it was such a relief to not go down that path. I love the bright colors in the fabrics and find that I can adapt them to my favorite designer's quilts (Kim Brackett).
Old 12-03-2016, 06:43 AM

Not yet, but I'm still a newbie. I just started this summer and just finished my first "large" quilt this morning! It's all shiny and new for me, hoping it doesn't wear off for many years to come.

It also helps that I have some great, wonderful, lively mentors and new found friends. They've really helped me get excited about quilting.

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 12-03-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:57 AM

I've been quilting for six years now and have made many quilts. I don't miss being new because every pattern I make is a new adventure. A new challenge, to see if I can do it. My friends and family loves my quilts and every year another asks for one. They give me a rough idea to pursue and I make them something special. There is always another challenge just waiting for me to grasp it and run. I've taught others who still enjoy quilting & was even approached to become a quilting instructor in our community. My inspiration is boundless & my joy of quilting is endless.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:25 AM

NO, it never get's old. I've been sewing since I was 11. There will never be enough time in my life time to try all the techniques I have in my head I want to try....and the people who stand in line hoping to get my cast offs/finished quilts( that I have made happy over the years) is priceless.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:52 AM

I don't think I miss that part of quilting. I just look back and enjoy the journey of learning that I have done. I am still amazed at all of the beautiful quilts I see on the QB.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:09 AM

I feel I'll always be a newby because there are always something new coming out to try. So many patterns with new techniques to try out, new rulers to make our lives easier, paper piecing techiques, applique I haven't tried and now sewing machines that are coming out with ways to make quilting easier for you. The other day my dealer showed me how to take an embedded decorative stitch, multiply the number of designs, change the size to fit the area where you want to use it. WOW!!!!! Found a new project using applique and thought this technique would be great to try to fill in all the appliqued areas.

Newbie, I will always be in my mind.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:15 AM

Nope, still enjoying it; just wish I could do more and more and not enough time.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:24 AM

No. I find every quilt new and exciting - whether it is a new pattern or a new color combo. I am constantly impressed with other folks ideas and finished works. I think I could quilt for another 40 years and still be learning new tricks and patterns. Places like this blog and Pinterest keep everything a wonder! I thank all of you for the continued inspiration.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:37 AM

No, too much new stuff out there to get bored. I am always trying new things so for me quilting never gets old
Old 12-03-2016, 10:46 AM

I miss the "discovery" of my neophyte days, yes. Everything was new and different from garment sewing, which I'd done a lot of. I even liked the cutting! I liked the preciseness of it, I think, and using new tools: rotary cutter and mat. Now cutting bores me to tears.

The start of something, which can be anxious-making, is also an adventure, I think, which makes it more exciting. I miss that. On the other hand, it's a relief to "know" many things about quiltmaking now and not have to wonder or go looking for answers to the simplest of things.

Having said all that, I also believe that there is always something new to be discovered and learned. I recently did paper piecing for the first time, and like everything I do, I taught myself -- thank goodness for the internet! It was different and fun and I'm glad I did it.

The best hobbies are those you keep learning about and from, I think. Quiltmaking is certainly in that category...in my opinion.

Last edited by Friday1961; 12-03-2016 at 10:48 AM.