Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone recognize this block??

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Does anyone recognize this block??

I love this pattern, but I have no idea what it's called and I really need to find a tutorial or at least instructions. I've been playing around with scraps this weekend and I'm not quite getting it. I'm guessing it's foundation pieced, which I've never done before. I gave it a whirl, but it was a disaster. My strips stretched and twisted something awful, I don't know if it was the fabric or me. But I have the perfect fabric for this pattern. Can anyone help??

Thanking y'all in advance,

Mary Ann
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Since you are dealing with bias edges here, I would starch the fabric heavily
    and handle the strips as gently as possible...specially when pressing.
    I would use a dry iron.

It does look like it is foundation pieced with the white being the foundation. Then the blue, the multicolor and the red are sewn at the same angle in each block. It would then be trimmed to whatever size you want the blocks to be and 4 blocks sewn together to make each large square. I like that design.

block

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc View Post
    I love this pattern, but I have no idea what it's called and I really need to find a tutorial or at least instructions. I've been playing around with scraps this weekend and I'm not quite getting it. I'm guessing it's foundation pieced, which I've never done before. I gave it a whirl, but it was a disaster. My strips stretched and twisted something awful, I don't know if it was the fabric or me. But I have the perfect fabric for this pattern. Can anyone help??

Thanking y'all in advance,

Mary Ann
    no sorry but I do like it when you find out let us know the name thanks

I would sew 5 strips together, (print in middle, blue/red to either side, then white strips) then cut squares. You would have to mark your square ruler so that you cut the white off-center to make the star shape for each corner (like the twister ruler does for their pattern).

I think it could be done just by sewing strips together, with white being the strip at the top and bottom. Then take your square ruler and set it at an angle to cut the squares. If you have a protractor, the angle should be easy to find. I downloaded a protractor template from Google and use it all the time to figure out pattern templates.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

This pattern looks very similar to what you are trying to make except that yours
    has a white strip on each side of the block. Maybe you can get some tips there.
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/2012/07/...els-quilt.html

Power Poster
    ​That does look very similar EasyPeezy and simple to add another triangle to the top of the block too. I think I would sew the white strips on to the block, flip out the fabric and then trim back to the square. I would then remove the extra backing fabric under the triangles.

It's a variation if the strip tube.

My suggestion? Draw a block on paper and try your own PP block.

It is made like a http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RailFenceBlock.html, but wonky like this: http://www.quilterscache.com/Y/YellowDervishBlock.html
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast