Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone weave their own fabric? >

Does anyone weave their own fabric?

Does anyone weave their own fabric?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:47 PM

Default Does anyone weave their own fabric?

I was given a weaving loom. Just got it back from Harrisville. Upgraded it to 6 treadles and have them do a conversion kit. I have not made a thing on it yet...still taking video classes. Alot more to weaving then I realized. I was thinking of weaving fabric and making quilts with it. If anyone has done that, I would love some tips.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:34 AM

I had a teacher long ago and she would let some of us use her loom. I think the weave is not tight enough to cut up and put into a quilt. As I remember you could follow a pattern and a design would be woven into your piece. It was fun and I made a dresser scarf as I remember. You could probably use the pieces that you wove as a high-light on a quilt.
Sue
Old 06-10-2012, 08:48 AM

I took a class in weaving at college, and another from a weaver where I lived several years later...and I did buy a loom ...a string heddle one...so quiet to weave on. I made several things. Then we moved and I really did not have a place for it, and hadn't used it for many years, so I sold it. I do miss it and have been thinking of getting a tabletop loom, but want to be sure I would really use it before investing the money. It would be a bit difficult to use handwoven fabric in a quilt, ad the weave isn't at all as tight as commercial fabric is.