Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does a fabric stash have an expiration date? >

Does a fabric stash have an expiration date?

Does a fabric stash have an expiration date?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 PM

According to Gerald Roy, a well qualified expert, most of the plastic bins are actually archival, especially if they don't have an air tight seal. The acid in cardboard will stain fabrics over time, just like the acid in the wood it comes from.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
According to Gerald Roy, a well qualified expert, most of the plastic bins are actually archival, especially if they don't have an air tight seal. The acid in cardboard will stain fabrics over time, just like the acid in the wood it comes from.
Well, I have been lucky with the bins, because none of the ones I own are air tight <g>
I don't know about the wood causing problems because I just received a wooden box FULL of wool blanket samples - - similar to Pendleton blanket samples?
The samples are in very good condition, and I even found a swatch of (oh, what is that stuff that they used to make women's bloomers out of? black - - sateen?) the swatch paper information was dated 1917!
The only stain I see on any of the pieces is from the metal staples (not staples - -they are the big headed pins that have prongs that you open up to hold things together?)
I probably ought to go to bed ... I am brain numb!:?
Anyway, the wood is not finished, and I am wondering if that is a factor, I am sure!
Have you heard that you shouldn't use newspapers unless they have aged for 2 weeks? because they will rub off on fabric ...
I wonder if the wood in this bin I have didn't come from another project, so it was well-seasoned.
And, I have mentioned before that I have fabric I stored in a cardboard box back in 1983 .. or, it might have been 1981 ... anyway, it has been stored in that box for at least 25 years, and it looks just like it did when I put it in there
HOWEVER - - I have not tried my "Is it rotten" test, so if I find out that it has rotted, I will have to assume that it has to do with deterioration from the box, since it is cotton. Although, it was bought from (can you believe I remember this??? <g>) Fabric Warehouse in Astoria, Oregon ... back then, the LQS "myth" had not gained any integrity - - if it was even an issue.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by omak
One of the ways I test fabric to see if it will stand up to quilting is to hold it really tight between my two hands, then take a finger and try to rip it from the center out ... (if the fabric is rotten at any point, it will be easier to do than put it through paper)
Omak made one of the points that I was going to make.

My stash does have a sort of expiration date at this time. When I come across a fabric that is not of good quality and the printing looks blurred or I am no longer in love with it and won't use it, then I get rid of it. My taste has changed from 10-15 years ago. I am now able to shop in LQS and my fabric is of better quality and probably will last my lifetime if not used. I do love scrap quilts and do make charity quilts, but let's face it, most of us have more fabric than we will use in our lifetime. AND we are still buying more.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hi, My name is Helen and I AM A FABRIHOLIC!!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by hereca622
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hi, My name is Helen and I AM A FABRIHOLIC!!
8-) 8-) 8-) Wait for it!
I admit to NOTHING! ;-)
<wave>
Old 01-07-2010, 12:39 PM

Wow these replies have been really interesting!
Thanks for all the info.
I will not throw anything away.

Though I am considering what to do with some that had been sprayed with that adhesive stuff. I was feeling ambitious and was going to make a bunch of bags and got a few different fabrics sandwiched. They come right apart. I wonder if I wash them if they will be alright to use in a quilt. I'm over bags. Can't do 3D stuff unless someone is standing over my shoulder showing me every step!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by LisaT
Wow these replies have been really interesting!
Thanks for all the info.
I will not throw anything away.

Though I am considering what to do with some that had been sprayed with that adhesive stuff. I was feeling ambitious and was going to make a bunch of bags and got a few different fabrics sandwiched. They come right apart. I wonder if I wash them if they will be alright to use in a quilt. I'm over bags. Can't do 3D stuff unless someone is standing over my shoulder showing me every step!
If the adhesive stuff is a temporary thing, it should just wash out (and, I would do that right away)
if the adhesive stuff is more permanent - - I would make sure it went into my next project, even if the next project were just a scrap quilt ... they will gum up your iron, you will hate yourself in the morning (and!)
if you happen to sew it into a quilt, wrong side up, you will be creating problems for others down the road ...