Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this look o k for a man quilt >

Does this look o k for a man quilt

Does this look o k for a man quilt

Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

I think the idea of changing to a darker border and sashing sounds good to me. Betcha he likes the quilt when it is done!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:22 PM

Sorry to go off on a tangent but I have to ask- is this washable? I thought ties were dry clean only?
Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy View Post
The idea is good, I'm just not sure about the bright colors. But you know his taste. Ijust think men, more darker colors. here is a picture of a quilt I did for coworkers brother. The quilt was made from old men ties! The pattern is a freebie at All people quilt website. I think it was called barcode.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

When making a boy or man's quilt, I don't use pink or purple and absolutely no flowers. Everything else is good.
You appliques will be just fine and blue is for boys or men.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

I think you need to be careful on fabric choice, some of those look too whimsical and juvenile. I would use colors of blues, greens, and golds (batiks) for the fish. Rainbow Trout fish have a lot of color. Another good source is to look online at different fish for ideas of color.

Last edited by joyce888; 02-24-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 PM

Applique is looking good, I would use different fabric (darker) for the sashing/borders. It seems a bit juvenile for that hold of a man. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 AM

I decided to keep the fish which I am now appliqueing on my machine and go with darker boarders. I like the idea of a bow tie quilt and might make one at a later date, but he loves to fish and he is going through depression and has off and on all his life and to me bright colors are more cheerful. I guess it boils down to what you know about the person and your own personal tastes. Thanks so much for all your help, I wouldn't have changed the boarders without it and it is going to look much better with the warm green. I will post a picture of the top when I have it put together.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM

It does make a difference when you know the person you are sewing for. Be sure to tell him he needs a quilt to wrap up in when he is feeling down - the quilt will wrap him in love.

My Dad was always cold at night - I made him a chenille cuddler - he used it every night after that and was never cold again. I told him it was all the love stitched into it that kept him warm.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:09 AM

Your appliques are great! Hope he loves it!

With my guys (I have 5 sons and a daughter) I've learned to ask what colors/pattern they want. Sometimes I can predict what they will like and other times they pick something I would not have guessed they would like.