Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does quilting bring you comfort? >

Does quilting bring you comfort?

Does quilting bring you comfort?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM

Yes, yes and yes. During the last year of tears, moving, separation from my hubby, quilting was the one thing that provides smiles and sunshine.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Absolutely! I always joke it is my 'therapy'. I was out to lunch with a bunch of moms a few years ago and everyone was talking about medications, anti-anxiety & anti-depression, etc. As we were all moms of kids with autisim, many of whom were on meds, I thought we were talking about the kid's meds. I was wrong. They were talking about what they, the moms, were taking. I said sewing was my therapy & med. Even with the price of fabric it's cheaper... and way fewer side effects.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by bunniequilter View Post
Quilting feeds my soul and makes me feel complete.
High 5 to that!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM

I'm with you. It's a real stress buster
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Absolutely, it is my stress -reliever - my creative outlet - I can't imagine a day without touching fabric or thinking about it - I love it and it calms me tremendously.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 PM

It is amazing how quilting and fabric can make you feel. I have always said that quilting is my stress releiver and it is. Some days if I am just out of sorts, I may not feel up to cutting or sewing, but I can just sit in my sewing room and feel a calm come over. I will move fabric around, look at it and think about what it could be one day. Flip through a quilt book and dream... it just takes all the bad away..... love it!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM

Oh my! Sewing has TOTALLY saved my sanity these last two+ years. When I'm busy in the sewing room, my mind is at peace. It helped so much that my husband spent his week's vacation last year fixing a sewing room for me. He's added a TV, blue ray movie player, collected tables for my machines, put in flooring and extra lighting - the list goes on and on! My sewing room is my little haven that I retreat to so that I can regroup and regain my footing. In the process, I create little things that I consider beautiful, if not useful! LOL
Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

It's cheaper than a therapist and more enjoyable. YES from me!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:58 PM

As soon as I open my main stash cupboard, and start choosing fabrics, a calming feeling comes over me. Everything, from start to finish, even the "re-sewing" is comforting to me. I can slow down and take my time with no deadlines. Quilting is my peace.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:35 PM

For me it's my music. My mother and grandmother both played the piano, my middle brother inherited their talent for music and they could play any instrument they picked up. My older brother was a stone carver. The only music I can play is on the DC player, but my quilts are my artistic talent. I, like you, enjoy the choosing the fabric, deciding on a pattern and seeing to come to life. I love making quilts and giving them is a way to show how much I care for those around me.