Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it really just take practice to LA? >

Does it really just take practice to LA?

Does it really just take practice to LA?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 PM

Oh Pam! I know you will master it eventually. From what I've seen, I know you are a piecing perfectionist, and I'm sure you are the same way about your quilting. The samples you show sure look good for a beginner! At least your curves are curvy. I paid good money to have a professional do a quilt top that I thought was a real piece of art, and I think her work was inferior -- not at all what I was lead to expect.
I hope someday I get the opportunity to join the longarming club myself! Hang in there, kiddo!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the links, I've been looking at them. I really like crosshatching so I want to learn that.

The part I had the most problem is going from front to back and can't see where the line of quilting that I need to meet is. Another reason to get micro handles and come down closer to the work.

I did two quilts in the last couple of days and I feel better about them. Overall, from loading on, it was easier to do. They were pantos.

I do my best in piecing and try to get all the seams to match where they should. It wasn't always that way and I guess I need to remember that. I have to start somewhere.

jdavis, I am so sorry to hear that your work of art didn't get the quilting you thought it would, and should, have. I have one being quilted right now by Green Fairy. I didn't have a LA yet when I sent it to her at the beginning of January but, I still wouldn't be doing it myself yet and ruining a quilt that I love.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

I am still trying to make a perfect quilt, DD says there is no such thing. I do FMQ on my regular machine and find if I tense up I don't do such a good job. Keep telling yourself to relax. Mine aren't perfect but, everyone I given a quilt loves them. Washing and drying makes a big difference. I wash & dry them before giving them away. Colors and patterns detract from the quilting also.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:42 PM

I can "meander" half way decent, but I'm a long way from being where I want to be with FMQ (creating beautiful designs).

Can somebody tell me how to remember to breathe while one is FMQ-ing?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by kasmitty1
Can somebody tell me how to remember to breathe while one is FMQ-ing?
And how to blink before your eyes get dry? :XD:
Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 AM

There are many sites to get rulers. thegadgetgirls.com, quiltersrule.com are just a couple. Just make sure that you get 1/4 thick and not 1/8 thick. With the nesting ones all you need is some blue painters tape to tape them together as you use them you don't want to just use one section alone.