Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does thread deteriorate? >

Does thread deteriorate?

Does thread deteriorate?

Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM

I have a large stash of vintage and antique thread. Some of it is probably close to 100 years old. I use thread from it regularly in both my needle and bobbin and have no problems as long as it passes the tug test. Also, sometimes the outer layer of thread on a spool will have been weakened by exposure to sun, but if you pull that off, there will be good thread underneath. You may need to lower your top tension some but maybe not. Depends on the thread.

I do not use any of my antique or vintage threads for quilts that will be used as quilts but I do use them extensively in quilts that will be used for wall hangings. I've successfully used the decorative stitches on my machines as well as FMQ'd with them and gotten really nice effects.

Rob
Old 03-25-2016, 12:22 PM

Some off the older thread is thick like dental floss! Yikes! I bought a 1974 Kenmore and the thread that was in the bobbin was thick enough to sew saddles haha!
Old 03-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

think about it this way. fabric is made of threads. Just like cotton will breakdown over time so will thread. Iuse alot of old threads, they are still good. I love threads on wooden spools.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:15 PM

Okay, when I first starting to quilt 6 years ago, I was at a garage sale and the lady had 3 boxes of large wooden spools of mercerized cotton thread. There was 20 spools in each box and all colors. She told me she had stored them in here basement. No odors in them. They were $5.00 a box so I bought them. Well when I got them home, I tried to see how easily the thread broke. Immediately!!!!! Well, I sat back and thought a moment and then I took one spool and started unwinding the thread, snapped it, broke, kept going and all of the sudden I reached a point where the thread did NOT break. So, I sat watching TV in the evening with the hubby for the next couple of weeks and I think about a third of each spool had deteriorated but then I would hit the spot where it was strong and I couldn't break it. I have enough colors and thread to last quite a while. I store it in plastic boxes and it is protected from moisture! Just letting you know my experience.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:44 PM

guess I'm spoiled with all the beautiful threads out there now cause my old threads on wooden spools are used for decoration only--connects me to my Mom and G-mas!
Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
Well when I got them home, I tried to see how easily the thread broke. Immediately!!!!! Well, I sat back and thought a moment and then I took one spool and started unwinding the thread, snapped it, broke, kept going and all of the sudden I reached a point where the thread did NOT break. So, I sat watching TV in the evening with the hubby for the next couple of weeks and I think about a third of each spool had deteriorated but then I would hit the spot where it was strong and I couldn't break it. I have enough colors and thread to last quite a while. I store it in plastic boxes and it is protected from moisture! Just letting you know my experience.
Thankyou - good to know that. I'll definitely be testing before use!
Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 PM

I was using an old thread of a friends and her machine kept breaking the thread . A tuck test was done on it and it snapped. We threw it away. I would say it depends on how the thread was stored. So do a snap test.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:53 AM

I think this is one of those myths that keeps getting told . Think about quilts that are 100 + years old...it isn't the thread that deteriorates first..it's the fabric(usually from the dyes they used)..
I bought a huge lot of wooden spools with all colors of thread, and I use it to piece with. I've had no problems. Even new thread will rot if kept in damp and moist conditions.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:30 PM

I would test it and if it is still good, I would store it in my freezer. I have stored extra thread there and it will keep the cotton thread from drying out and also protect the color. If there is thread that you would not use, it will be great for basting either quilts of any other items. Have fun.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:59 PM

I have used thread with no problems that I bought 40 years ago.