Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your guild have a Sew Day? >

Does your guild have a Sew Day?

Does your guild have a Sew Day?

Old 03-03-2017, 04:10 AM

Question Does your guild have a Sew Day?

The first Saturday of each month our guild meets to sew from 10am until the last bobbin runs out...(about 5pm). Most of us bring our sewing machines and projects. A few come with other projects such as knitting, or hand sewing projects. Others drop in to say hello as they run their Sat. errands. It is a day of fun, fellowship and learning from one another. Visitors to our guild are also invited to come and join us on sew day and learn about our guild.

How about all of you? Do you have sew days with your guild or group of quilting friends?
Old 03-03-2017, 04:45 AM

I'm not a guild member, but this sounds like fun!!
Old 03-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

​Once a month we have a charity sew and I go to that. There are regular sew days but I prefer to work on my projects at home.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:55 AM

We have Fridays to sew. You can stay till 2 if you want, and 1 Sat. a month they have a sew day. The guild also does 2 Home Town Retreats. You can sew from 9 a.m. on Fri. till 10 p.m. with dinner served, Sat. 9 a.m. till 10 p.m. with lunch and dinner served, and Sun. 9 a.m. till 2. On Sun. they usually have leftovers, and you can bring in food. All this costs is 50 dollars as they have someone pick up the food or catered. We do the clean up taking turns.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Our guild meets once a month rom 10-2 and we always sew. Most times we work on something new that someone presents and sometimes we just sew on whatever we want. We also have a quilt camp for youth in July that lasts 3 days.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I belong to two guilds and two sewing groups. Both guilds have sew days and community service days once a month so that means I have four days of sewing if I choose. The two sew groups meets two days a month. We can leave our machines set up over night so it's easy to go sew all day and come back the next day. I'm retired so I go whenever I get the chance to have a place to go. One day I won't be able to get up and go so I'm not wasting a day sitting home.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:34 AM

No, but I wish they did. The Saturday sew days sound wonderful. I think sew days are what pulls a group together. In the past they have tried to have them but there is always a focus on Community quilts, a lot gets done but some members don't show up because they want to work on their own projects.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:57 AM

I don't belong to a group, but a good friend that I have known for years has finally developed an interest in quilting. I invited her over to help her learn how to quilt. We spent one evening just talking about the basics. A week ago she spent the whole day with me, learning how to square fabric, cut, press, and sew a nine patch block together. Yesterday she spent a half day with me learning how to put sashing between the blocks. I have had a great time, enjoying teaching and having company while I work at the longarm. We plan to attend a 2 day retreat late this month and I want her to know as much as she can before the retreat.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:14 AM

Yes, our guild meets one Saturday each month at a local community center. We brown bag lunch, and work on whatever we want. Some members bring their quilt projects, while others might choose to work on knitting or another craft. Many members use the day to pin their quilts on the large tables there.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:01 AM

That sounds like fun. I feel we need to set aside time to sew with others with the same interests. I don't belong to a guild but our LQS has a day that they have "free sew" and you can come in with sewing machine and project and sew during shop hours.