Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your quilting guild sponsor Challenges/ >

Does your quilting guild sponsor Challenges/

Does your quilting guild sponsor Challenges/

Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 AM

Default Does your quilting guild sponsor Challenges/

My local quilting guild, Royal City Quilters in Guelph, Ontario has a show every two years; this is the year in May. As part of the show they sell "kits" with two different fat quarters. These two pieces have to appear somewhere in the finished piece. It can be a quilt, a wall hanging, or a mini anything. This year their theme was "spring" not necessarily the season. Noun or verb, your choice. I finished my entry today. 15" x 18" It's based on the verb and is entitled "the Flounder" after the Grimm's fairy tale. These contests produce all types of work and the visitors to the show get to vote on their favourite. Does anyone else have something like this in the guild shows?
Attached Thumbnails img_0931.jpg  
Old 01-14-2012, 12:03 PM

Mary, that is a lovely quilt. Your quilting gives the fish a real sense of motion and I like the detail you gave the fish as well. My local guild sponsors a challenge every year to go with their annual show. I have not yet done one, as I am just going to be joining the guild next month, but their website shows photos of their annual challenges and I have been to their quilt shows in the past. Yours is sure to get lots of votes - great work!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Very nice! I have tried to start a challenge project in our guild several times but the majority of members are elderly and pooh poohed the idea. I can get maybe 2 members to participate with me. I am constantly recruiting new members for our guild so maybe the votes for anything new can be yeah instead of nay. Almost there, three more members to go to have the majority be under 80. LOL
Old 01-14-2012, 12:27 PM

Our guild challenge this year is "My Kansas, My Kansas" or your preferred state. I know several members will do Texas and Oklahoma and one is doing Minnesota. They're due in May and will be displayed during Oz Fest when we have a home tour. Mine is coming along.

I looooooooooove that fish!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:39 PM

My guild does a quilt show every other year. They do mini quilts - not bigger than 24 inches square. Some times it is a certain fabric to be included. This year it was red thread (almost like crochet thread). The people who attend the show vote to determine the winner.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Super Job
Old 01-14-2012, 01:05 PM

Wow, I love the watery stitches!!! It's beautiful piece.

Kat
Old 01-14-2012, 01:28 PM

Our guild in Lubbock does not do that, but the one I belonged to in New Mexico did. It was called the "President's Challenge" I believe. The guild president must have been responsible for selecting the theme and the fabrics. It was fun to see the creativity on the quilts that entered the challenge.

Dayle
Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 PM

Our guild is doing two challenges this year in preparation for our quilt show.

The first is an orphan block challenge. You bring in 6-10 blocks in a paper bag, put it on the table, and take someone else's blocks. ALL the blocks have to be used on the front of the quilt.

The second challenge is a red and white challenge, because our auction quilt (which is amazing) is red and white. It is just what it sounds, except you can only use one red fabric, and one white fabric. That threw a lot of people.

It is my first year in the guild, so I don't know what the rate of participation is.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Sew Cute