Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your sewing room always stay cluttered? >

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM

My sewing area always seams to be in a mess in one way or another. If not sewing, than someone just drops thing off on the counters. I too have stopped buying fabric. I will buy backing or if my stash runs out of a fabric that will work, I had to buy green last month because I didn't have enough of any of my greens (I have 11) to use for the whole quilt. looks like I will be doing a scrap quilt using a lot of different green's to use up some of my smaller pieces. I have completed 6 tops, and my grand's have finished 4 tops all out of my stash and scraps. Still don't see any empty spaces on my shelves, I just dig out another box of folded fabric and load the shelves back up. I think I have finally emptied my last tot of fabric. It does help that this last spring my DH built me a set of cabinets 7ft tall and 8ft long, just to hold folded fabric with doors on the front. I am slowly sorting through all my templates, patters, mag's and sewing machines, If I have not used it in the last 2 years it is going up for sale!! I am really tired of knowing I have something and not finding it!! So am being very strict with myself. Maybe if I have less to dig through I can keep my sewing area cleaner longer, and find things faster! Well that's the plan! Lets see if I can stick to it! LOL
Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 AM

I can not sew in a mess, so I have to straighten and clear the sewing area of my sewing room regularly. I am sure someone that is super neat or not a sewer or crafter would look at my room and think it was quite cluttered. I just have a lot of stuff and not enough storage or room. But I do have to stay on top of it and keep fairly neat or I get very stressed. Of course I do make a mess when I sew, I think that is pretty normal. But I work hard at clearing up after each project.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:12 PM

I also get stressed if my room gets messy....I find if I take a picture it really shows me how bad it looks and helps to modivate me to get it in shape. Its so much easier to find stuff when clean and a happier place to work in.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM

When I am working on a project, (usually one piecing main one, one cutting out, and one hand quilting and/or machine quilting or binding and things get a little out of order. I try to keep things in different organized places and then when I get each project all done. I organize everything from that particular quilt, get it put away, run the sweeper, clean that machine, and make sure the area looks somewhat organized and START on the next segments of projects become 1 and 2 and start finding a new number 3. Works for me.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 PM

My "sewing room" is simply my home! I have refrained from moving into the master bedroom, kitchen, bathrooms. I have to admit the other 3 bedrooms and living area are being overtaken by total chaos! I am afraid that if I organized, I couldn't find anything!! No pics of my messes for sure!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 PM

Right now, it's worse than ever. I've been going from one deadline to the next. Lot's of WIP's that really are IP. And too much stuff to get it all on the shelves.

So far, I remember:
Clean up after each project. Ouch!
Stop purchasing. Ouch!
Annual must get it all cleaned up. Yeh! We also have a big group once a year and that room gets temporary sleeping facilities. Must get it all cleaned up. So I know it can be done.
Give it away after 2 yrs of no use. Ouch!

Better get back to the WIP and deadline.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 PM

Add an embroidery machine and all the related stuff to sewing mess and then you have a major disaster!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

No, not all the time. Maybe about 2/3. :-)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM

Messy ? Yes it is part of the process. You clean up as you go and after the quilt is completed. STILL it is a mess. OH Well.... C'est la vie, That's life. hugs
Old 07-23-2013, 01:54 PM

I guess my suggestion of taking old magazines to the library or quilt shop and putting free on the box was not liked.....lol

The post was deleted.