Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your sewing room always stay cluttered? >

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Every few months I organize my sewing room and before I know it, it's so disorganized again. Two days ago I started a baby quilt and my room is a mess. I just have sooooo much fabric and gizmos and not enough room to store everything. I quit buying fabric a while back when I realized I was out of room, but it doesn't help me now. I have two long, long tables with a 32"x70" cutting mat and it has fabric and thread and needles on it. I have a lot of my fabric on bookcases and in rubbermaid clear tubs and in my closets. I have sewing machines in my closets. I have lots of things organized, but lots of things are not organized because I don't have room to organize them. I have clear tubs of fabric that are stacked clear to the ceiling!!! Yes, I have a problem. I am a fabraholic. But I quit buying fabric and am only using what I have (which I'll never use even if I live to 110 years old). I have so many quilt magazines that I think I should just throw them away. I haven't looked at them in years and they take up space. I gave away lots of my fabric to gals on this board to downsize and I'm still overwhelmed and cluttered. Does anyone else have this problem? I just bought another bookcase and more clear plastic tubs and filled it all with fabric to help organize my room, but I feel I just have too much or I need a BIGGER ROOM. I don't want to give any of my fabric away, I just want advice. I know there are plenty others that have this problem.

Last edited by jcrow; 07-23-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:32 AM

I try to keep my room organized...doesn't always happen though...especially when I'm creating! I do clean it up after every project is completed and I've started either cutting my leftover fabrics into sizes I use or put them in a bag for my girlfriend that saves every scrap she can get her hands on . My room is our formal living room...and it's still not big enough...I'm branching out into our 4th bedroom.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 AM

I have the same situation for sure but I still buy. I have mine clean at the moment and am making myself finish what I am working on before I start something new...driving me nuts!!!! I need nothing...well maybe I need a dumpster! I am giving fabric to people that quilt for causes and I am going thru those bins now to see what I have...I am shopping at home before I go to the fabric store. I am sure a local guild would love those magazines...last show around here they were selling old magazines for 25 cents each...at my quilt group we all love the oldies which we share.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM

You aren't alone, believe me. LOL My quilting fabric is organized though and ruler folded and put into drawers according to their background color. That's about where my organization stops. My old sewing room was 20x20, my new one is 9x15, so not nearly enough room, heck, there's barely enough room for me, the cutting table, sewing desk, ironing board, and 2 small dressers, the "overflow" is in the "storeroom" behind the sewing room but you can't get there from the sewing room, and the rest of my fabrics are in large plastic totes in the "container", all the fabrics in my sewing room is quilting cotton with the exception of the flannels which are in the container, since I don't use them very often. I can clean the room up and within 10 minutes of working on something, it looks like a tornado went through there, so I just "live" with it. LOL Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

Yes, mine is too. I would post a picture to prove it but then I would be utterly embarrassed !!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes it is hard to tell when the blessings of 'enough' become the burdens of 'too much'
Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Sometimes it is hard to tell when the blessings of 'enough' become the burdens of 'too much'
Unfortunately, so true!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 AM

My sewing room used to be clean and organized. I am a visual person so I needed to "see" where everything was... fabric on open bookcases, corkboards with patterns and pictures hanging..... but I just moved to a new place and share a sewing room with my mom. The room is bigger but has to contain twice as much stuff so seems smaller. My mom is not quite as visual as I am so trying to strike a balance while setting up a new sewing room is frustrating lol. She prefers things hidden in boxes and closets and cabinets but when she is working it is chaos.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:05 AM

Mine is a disaster as long as I'm sewing. My room is only 8x10 and barely has what you could call a closet. I have a small sewing table; one of the collapsable craft tables for cutting/ironing - although it's never in it's collapsed state; a futon; a dresser; a dressing table and 2 end tables. I've only ever bought for projects. I don't have any room for fabric storage except for my project leftovers. I have a few books. Leftovers and books are in the dresser. Some leftovers in a couple of tubs. I usually clean up after each project which helps some but the room is never 'clean'. Always something going on.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Mine always looks like an explosion in a fabric mill! My sewing room is actually a fabric storage facility, and I sew in my dining room, which is quite large. I keep pulling fabric and eventually you can't even see the dining room tables (there are 3). the only up side is we have an annual holiday party, so it forces me to clean at least once a year.