Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doily  quilt? >

Doily quilt?

Doily quilt?

Old 07-01-2007, 04:46 PM

I bought a bag of doily's at a garage sale.......any ideas to put them in a quilt. they are hand made about 50 years old, all shapes and patterns. :D
Old 07-01-2007, 04:54 PM

I would welcome an idea also, as I have many handmade ones by Aunts
and Grandmothers, It would be nice to put them to use.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM

I think that is a wonderful way to display your doilys. The only thing I can think of is to appliqué them on a solid color block. I'm sure that you will recieve better ideas but that's all I can think of right now. Be sure to post pics once you have done it.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 PM

There is a Hanky quilt pattern that uses overlaying hankies to create a sort of crazy quilt. If you want them intact....put them onto a backing square...if not afraid or you opt to cut them....you could use them on a crazy quilt. A lot of the older doilies were done with the fine crochet thread as opposed to the heavier threads and would be nice on a crazy quilt or for a medallion with or without outlying satellites of smaller ones. A little more labor but you could back the doilies and then shape them into a floral bouquet that fills a vase with a doily enhanced motif...The possibilities are truly endless and up to you.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 AM

American Patchwork and Quilting had a quilt on the front cover made from doilies. I did it for my sister as a wall hanging one year. Each block took 1/4/doily and they were arranged on point and alternated with the fan block. I can't remember which issue, but it had to be at least 4-5 years ago. Maybe Virginia will read this and tell us how many years ago I did the wall hanging. Anyway, mine was similar to the magazine, but not exactly like it. I didn't have any doilies and my goal was to crate this using only what I had in the closet, so I use white eyelet fabric cut into 1/4 circle. Her living room is in shades of peaches and greens, so thats what colors I used. Hope this gives you an idea.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 AM

Can you provide info or link on hankie quilt?

Have a box of old ones that just sit on the dresser, the crazy quilt idea sounds neat :-)

Marybeth
Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 AM

I have seen butterflies made out of old hankies but can't remeber where. Perhaps you could od a Google search for that? Let us know what you find out!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 AM

I have backed doilies with fabric and made them into pillows for gifts. You just tack them to the backing. Could be used to make a quilt.

I've got a bunch of doilies I made years ago - I guess I need to put that on my list.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:23 PM

Took the advice to Google search and found an awesome pattern on the Mc Calls website called Attic Treasures where you stitch the hankies on to 14' squares and use sashing to set them on edge. Very pretty :) Marybeth
Old 07-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Whoops! :oops:

I meant 14" squares.

Marybeth