Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Doing applique

Question Doing applique

When doing a quilt with some appliqué pieces on it , do I sew around the appliqué before or after I put my quilt sandwich together?

Blog Entries
    You can do it either way.

The most common and traditional method is to first sew the applique to the quilt top. After sandwiching, you can either quilt around the applique or over it.

The other method is to quilt as you applique. Basically you just sew once, on top of the applique, to secure it to the sandwich.

What type of applique are you doing? Hand or machine, raw edge or turned under, with fusible or without? Answer might depend on the method.

I've only done raw edge applique on a couple quilts & table toppers. I will draw or trace my applique on my HeatnBond (paper side), iron my HeatnBond (or whatever brand you are using) to the back of my fabric and then cut out my applique. I peel the paper off & fuse it by pressing with my iron to its place on the quilt top, then use my machine's blanket stitch around the applique. When finished with all the applique I sandwich my quilt & then quilt. Don't know if my method is the correct way, but it's how I do it.

Thanks everyone, I am machine quilting - raw edge, and only doing a few butterflies on grandaughter's quilt. I think I'll sew them on first, and then quilt, so I don't have so much bulk while putting them on. I am still new at this and trying to find easiest way untill I get some experience under my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by grammydd View Post
    Thanks everyone, I am machine quilting - raw edge, and only doing a few butterflies on grandaughter's quilt. I think I'll sew them on first, and then quilt, so I don't have so much bulk while putting them on. I am still new at this and trying to find easiest way untill I get some experience under my belt.
    I do a lot of raw-edge appliqué, and that's how I do it.