Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Domestic Machine Free Motion Quilting >

Domestic Machine Free Motion Quilting

Domestic Machine Free Motion Quilting

Old 09-21-2015, 06:01 AM

Default Domestic Machine Free Motion Quilting

I have been trying to learn how to do free motion on my Janome 7700. For regular sewing I use the start/stop button. I was having problems getting the right amount of pressure on my foot pedal so I decided to use the foot pedal for all sewing and found that my learning curve has been decreased significantly when doing free motion.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

That is great that you found what works best for you. On my older Bernina, I don't have a start and stop button. It is just finding the right speed that you can move the quilt at the same distance that your sewing machine would do.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:36 AM

I have always found that I have much more control with my foot pedal rather than the button. I work at a Babylock dealer and we use the button as a selling feature, but I really do not think that it is as nice of a feature. The best innovations machines have made, in my opinion, are the needle threaders and thread cutters. I really think good control is necessary for FMQ and the foot control gives you that.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

My Bernina has a speed adjuster which I find very helpful. On my old singer I had to depend on the foot pedal. I had a hard time not pressing too hard on the foot pedal while moving my hands.
I depressed my foot pedal with my hand until I got the speed where I wanted it and marked it with chalk. I then used duct tape to stick a piece of wood to the foot pedal so I could only depress it until the wood stopper. It worked well until I upgraded my machine. If your machine is similar maybe this will help you.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:47 AM

I like the speed control best for doing FMQ. My Janome 8900 has that, and it works perfectly for me.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:55 PM

I use the speed control too. That way I can press the peddle all the way down and still not go too fast. That leaves only the hands needing to learn how to free motion.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:26 AM

I have never been able to master the start/stop feature on my machine because I use two hands to manage the fabric and that leaves nothing to push the button with. I always feel like I do when I drive on icy roads with cruise control. Everything could be fine but if something happens I don't have control to react. I use the speed control on my newer machine and on my older machine that doesn't have speed control I just know where to press the foot pedal. It's a lot like driving the car with the accelerator.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:37 AM

I also do all my own FMQing on my Janome 6600 and set my speed control at the speed I use most often and use the foot pedal. I have used the start/stop button and it works but I feel I have a better "feel" and control with the foot pedal. I especially like the start/stop button for my Granddaughter who can't quite reach the foot control.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:05 AM

I free motion with my Viking Sapphire 870. I set speed down to a slow speed, I use my start/stop button to start free motioning. I find I have so much more control. Don't have to worry about using foot pedal. When I want to stop, I just tap the foot pedal and it stops.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 AM

The 7700 also has a speed control use that