Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dongles >

Dongles

Dongles

Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 AM

Default Dongles

I was wondering if someone could explain in easy layman's terms what exactly a dongle is and how it is used. I understand only that it is an connector and has something to do with software and computer and sewing machine. What does it connect from and to what? I don't have one, nor do I need one,(I think?) just curious.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:34 AM

A dongle is a special USB stick. I have a dongle that enables me to use my Pfaff 5D software on my computer. If I don't have it 'plugged into' my computer, the software won't work. I suspect Pfaff developed it to prevent the software from being copied and used by more than one consumer. I can install the software on more than 1 computer, but I can only use it on one at a time, because I have only 1 dongle.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
A dongle is a special USB stick. I have a dongle that enables me to use my Pfaff 5D software on my computer. If I don't have it 'plugged into' my computer, the software won't work. I suspect Pfaff developed it to prevent the software from being copied and used by more than one consumer. I can install the software on more than 1 computer, but I can only use it on one at a time, because I have only 1 dongle.
Excellent answer, exactly what I would say. The dongel is a way of telling the computer you have a matching sewing machine.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM

First time I heard of this animal. I don't have a clue! My educated guess would be a dangle whose angle is done gone.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

As Joanne said, it's a way of preventing software piracy. Bernina's embroidery module (for the 440) used to require a dongle, but the updated version no longer requires it.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:06 AM

JoanneS, Thank you. That is a very clear and concise answer. And I was tickled to see you have the Pfaff 5D software. I have the 4D, that I don't know at all, my machine is the Creative 2134, 5 years old/new; and I just never got around to learning the embroidery... I have just used my machine for sewing and quilting..but now I want to give it a go, and have been dinking around it. I am going into the dealer next week to get reacquainted with it, and I know they will want to talk me into upgrading.Probably both machine and software. Any information I should know as to "need"??
Thanks again
Old 07-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

​I was surprised to learn that dongles have a shelf life just like other computer devices. I think it was 3-4 years or until you damage it?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
First time I heard of this animal. I don't have a clue! My educated guess would be a dangle whose angle is done gone.
LOL!!! Oh my! Tickled me till the tears flowed!.....LOL...
Old 07-21-2012, 01:20 PM

I have to admit that the first time I heard the word "dongle", a machine-computer connection was the totally LAST thing I came up with.....evil laugh, snicker, snicker!
Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I was surprised to learn that dongles have a shelf life just like other computer devices. I think it was 3-4 years or until you damage it?

"They" certainly keep us stimulating the economy with having to make updated purchases of devices we have come to depend on.