Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donna Dewberry Fabric Strip Cutter -- Do you like it? >

Donna Dewberry Fabric Strip Cutter -- Do you like it?

Donna Dewberry Fabric Strip Cutter -- Do you like it?

Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 AM

Our WalMart dropped its fabric/craft department about 3 years ago when it built a new store, a real loss for sewers and crafters in our rural area. We have to go 35 miles to a larger city to get anything, and none of the Wally Worlds there have fabric either. I do work out of town and there is JoAnns and Hancock Fabrics in that town. Also a Hobby Lobby. No local quilt shops. So I resort to them or online. So thanks for the recommendations...I'll begin my hunt.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
If your walmart has a fabric dept. still they normally have them. and they are MUCH cheaper than you can get them online!

If you don't have a store that has one and you don't find it for a decent price online, let me know I will get you the UPC number you can either call 1-800 walmart, and have it sent to your store, Or you can take that number to the craft dept. and tell them to get it for you! 99% od the time they do what they gotta do to get you what you want! lol
On second thought, why don't you go ahead and post the UPC for me and I'll see about that...it might be an easier option to hand my husband when he asks what I want this year! I'll price it several places, then I can give him a choice of ways to "find" it for me! Maybe we can see if our Walmart is customer-service oriented. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:51 AM

Well, I just did a quick online search. WalMart online no longer has the 24 inch Fiskars cutter. JoAnns no longer carries it. Hancock Fabrics does not have it. Amazon does not have it. I didn't see it anywhere else. I did turn up a few sites for the Donna Dewberry 12 inch Fiskars cutter I originally inquired about. Looks like the 24 inch is discontined. I did find one rave review about it from a quilter. I'll keep looking, but I don't think the 24 inch product is in my future, and definitely not at a bargain price! Maybe Donna's product...I'll see what I find.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:07 AM

If I could find the 24 inch for $15,would buy a second one...love the gadget :D I usually manage to cut my fingers with cutters ; not these :D
Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 AM

I called the walmart that I got mine from and the kid working didn't know what a rotary cutter was!!! SO the kids and I have to get out this afternoon I will check to see if the local walmart has one and get the numbers for ya!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:42 AM

OH CRAP!!! I've been watching this post and running all over to all my Walmarts that have fabric, and no one has them and the manager said they cannot get any more. He did not say they were discontinued, but when they stop buying them they remove them from their inventory. Not only that, he did confirm that all the 3 remaining Walmarts with fabric here will be shutting down after the 1st of the year. OH DOUBLE CRAP!!! I'm there at least twice a week, and I did see this cutter, but I thought it was another toy I did not need, and would not work. OH well, I still have my rotary cutter, better than scissors.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I searched the internet and found one website that said that not only were they out of stock but that the item had been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Was at a Joann's today and found the Donna Dewberry 12" one. It is also made by Fiskars.

From the pictures I found on the internet, the 24" one was kind of plain-looking and not particularly feminine; the Donna Dewberry 12" is pink with flowers on it.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Well, I read several online reveiws of the Fiskars 24-inch model and they were very positive -- said it was easy to use, helpful for people who had trouble with their hands holding a regular rotary cutter, and safer as the blade is not exposed. So I hunted down a used cutter on Ebay and asked DH to get it for Christmas. The bidding has gone up to $50 and I told him that was my limit for a used one. I then decided I'd check out the 12-inch Donna Dewberry model. While doing that, I found the original 24-inch model at Nancy's Notions. It's not cheap ($59), but I went ahead and ordered it. DH said no sense waiting until Christmas. (I also ordered a big fat quarter bargain bundle huge bundle as long as I was at it.) I also found the 24-inch model online at sewforless.com, but couldn't find it anywhere else. My second choice was to go for the Donna Dewberry model and use my Joann's coupon, which would make it half the price of what I paid, but I really like the idea of being able to cut up to 24 inches. Thanks to all of you for your input!
Old 10-18-2009, 01:36 AM

I need to share my story-I had heard about the DD cutter and wanted to see it. I took my coupon to Joann's and there was the cutter. I looked at and thought with my coupon my present to myself. Trying to find the price was getting difficult so I asked a clerk if she knew the price. She went off and returned to tell me but she said the cutter had been returned. We kept looking at it and it had been used. So, she offered it to me for 75% off-and I bought it! Works great for my stuff!!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 AM

Thanks Teacup!!! I have been searching for days for this, but I was putting in Fiskars fabric trimmer in the search engine and came up with nothing. I could just kick myself for not buying this at walmart when I saw it, and to make matters worse the sales girl said they reduced the last two to $10.00. :( . Oh well with your persistance you found one and my husband said to get it. SO YEAH!!! I have one comming thanks to you!!! : :D