Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't bother to make your own rulers!  Not a deal. . . >

Don't bother to make your own rulers! Not a deal. . .

Don't bother to make your own rulers! Not a deal. . .

Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leevenora View Post
Are the edges smooth when you have them cut?
Smooth and straight ... they buff them so they are not razor sharp.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

I had my different size square acrylic rulers cut at auto glass repair shop. The price varied from $2 to $18 (26" square) . The edges are smooth. If the guy had scraps that would make the size I wanted he did those for free.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 PM

Wow! I never thought of going to a glass shop. my husband just cuts them for me in his workshop! I'll remember the glass shop next time tho, I would like to see how they turn out.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

My husband is a retired engineer and he makes 95% of my templates and yes, the edges are smooth. If I had to buy them, I could not afford them.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 AM

I go to our local Lowes and buy a sheet of acrylic and have it cut into whatever size square up rulers I need. I then bring them home and mark with a sharpie. These work great and usually cost about $2-$3.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 AM

My husband has cut me several. We have used scraps from other projects for the smaller ones = FREE

ETA: I bought a 14.5 and an 18.5 for projects I was working on from the local glass place. I believe the two of them were $12 I can't hardly get a single ruler for that
Old 03-12-2012, 05:06 AM

I went to my local glass cutter (got plexi glass) had about 15 templates from a 12.5 inch square to 4 " triangles and the shapes of all the speciality 45 and 90 degree angles I studied all the high $ ones that are advertised i had him cut me a 26" inch 2.5 wide ruler BC i made a lot of 2.5 inch strips and had them all cut for $34.00 ... less than 2 would have cost me. I did find a rough edge or 2 not many but used a piece of sand paper to smooth it

Then Thanks to another quilter here found out I could buy plastic grid sheets I use double side sticky tape to apply mine are all marked now just like purchased ones
I saved lots of money eBay has the grid sheets cheap
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 AM

if they are not you can use sand paper to smooth them out just be careful to keep it on the edge

Old 03-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
Wow! I never thought of going to a glass shop. my husband just cuts them for me in his workshop! I'll remember the glass shop next time tho, I would like to see how they turn out.
Why would you, when you have a DH with the equipment to do so?
$ave the $$ for other things!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 AM

I too have made many of my own rulers... I use them all the time. If they are simple square or rectangle I cut them myself and have good luck doing that. I go to our plastics place here and pick up a few large pieces of "scrap" and cut my needed pieces from them. If I need a curved piece I have my husband cut it for me with his electric bandsaw. It's easy to buff the edges as well, just use very fine grit sandpaper and polish it carefully.

To make permanent markings on them I carefully align a metal rule excactly where I want it and use a scribe to make a scratch in the plastic... you have to be careful doing this as it is permanent... If you want to see that mark easily then simply go over the scratch with a fine tip sharpie.. Perfect rulers for pennies.