Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't FMQ with a full bobbin?

I purchased a DVD about FMQ for newbies. In it, the instructor said that you never want to FMQ with a full bobbin; you always want it about 3/4 full. I must have missed her rationale for this statement, although she seemed to elude to the fact that a full bobbin causes tension difficulties.

As a newbie, and someone who desires to learn FMQ, I am curious as to whether others follow this rule or not. Any opinions?

i've never heard about this

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    I know nothing of this either...however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!
    LOL!! I think most days I am operating with a half full bobbin!

Blog Entries
    Interesting... Im still learning on the FMQ my expierience is that the quality of thread and making sure my bobbin thread winds on evenly and smooth are two important factors. Practice Practice Practice..though I think is really the key. I have recently purchased some cotton bandanas to use as practice toppers and am following the designs already in the print.. thinking I will turn them in to some fun throw pillows ...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!
    LOL!! I think most days I am operating with a half full bobbin!
    I agree.. lol... love the play on words :thumbup:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Bizarre! I ALWAYS fill my bobbin to the top before FMQing because I hate it to run out half way then I have ends to sew in. I think my FMQ is OK, anyway, I don't have tension issues - only when I'm down to the last few inches in the bobbin. Perhaps this is just a quirk of her machine? But I LOVE the 'new' expression 'she's not FMQing with a full bobbin'! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Maybe it has something to do with her machine - I like to have as much thread on the bobbin as I can get and have never had any tension issues - just operator problems!

I've never heard that. I don't have any tension problems. I have a Janome 4800 and it's going strong. I try to get it serviced yearly, but in reality it's probably every 2 years or so. She's a wonderful machine and I feel guilty because I haven't named her.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky
    Interesting... Im still learning on the FMQ my expierience is that the quality of thread and making sure my bobbin thread winds on evenly and smooth are two important factors. Practice Practice Practice..though I think is really the key. I have recently purchased some cotton bandanas to use as practice toppers and am following the designs already in the print.. thinking I will turn them in to some fun throw pillows ...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:
    this sounds like a good idea!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast