Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91

Thread: Don't FMQ with a full bobbin?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Wholeheart Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    438
    I purchased a DVD about FMQ for newbies. In it, the instructor said that you never want to FMQ with a full bobbin; you always want it about 3/4 full. I must have missed her rationale for this statement, although she seemed to elude to the fact that a full bobbin causes tension difficulties.

    As a newbie, and someone who desires to learn FMQ, I am curious as to whether others follow this rule or not. Any opinions?

  2. #2
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,976
    i've never heard about this

  3. #3
    RatherB Quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Posts
    947
    I know nothing of this either...however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Wholeheart Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!
    LOL!! I think most days I am operating with a half full bobbin!

  5. #5
    Super Member Jenniky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Golden Valley, Arizona
    Posts
    1,385
    Blog Entries
    28
    Interesting... Im still learning on the FMQ my expierience is that the quality of thread and making sure my bobbin thread winds on evenly and smooth are two important factors. Practice Practice Practice..though I think is really the key. I have recently purchased some cotton bandanas to use as practice toppers and am following the designs already in the print.. thinking I will turn them in to some fun throw pillows ...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:

  6. #6
    Super Member Jenniky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Golden Valley, Arizona
    Posts
    1,385
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    however...I realized you may have coined a new "quilter's" phrase. You know how they say, "she's not playing with a full deck." or "She's lost her marbles." Well, "She's not FMQ'ing with a full bobbin." sounds like it would work for us quilters. I know somedays I certainly don't have a full bobbin up there!!!
    LOL!! I think most days I am operating with a half full bobbin!
    I agree.. lol... love the play on words :thumbup:

  7. #7
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,714
    Blog Entries
    1
    Bizarre! I ALWAYS fill my bobbin to the top before FMQing because I hate it to run out half way then I have ends to sew in. I think my FMQ is OK, anyway, I don't have tension issues - only when I'm down to the last few inches in the bobbin. Perhaps this is just a quirk of her machine? But I LOVE the 'new' expression 'she's not FMQing with a full bobbin'! :lol: :lol: :lol:

  8. #8
    Super Member scowlkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    11
    Maybe it has something to do with her machine - I like to have as much thread on the bobbin as I can get and have never had any tension issues - just operator problems!

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    howell, Mi
    Posts
    1,780
    I've never heard that. I don't have any tension problems. I have a Janome 4800 and it's going strong. I try to get it serviced yearly, but in reality it's probably every 2 years or so. She's a wonderful machine and I feel guilty because I haven't named her.
    Sue

  10. #10
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,147
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky
    Interesting... Im still learning on the FMQ my expierience is that the quality of thread and making sure my bobbin thread winds on evenly and smooth are two important factors. Practice Practice Practice..though I think is really the key. I have recently purchased some cotton bandanas to use as practice toppers and am following the designs already in the print.. thinking I will turn them in to some fun throw pillows ...Im always needing a pillow to throw at my husbands corny jokes. :thumbup:
    this sounds like a good idea!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.