Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: DONT KNOW HOW?

could someone explain how you tie a quilt and what size blocks you can make and if someone has a picture of it thanks dorothy from tenn

Are you wanting to tie the quilt rather than quilt it? If so, check this link out...

http://www.quiltbug.com/tie.htm

This one is a bit better, with pictures....

http://www.quiltsmart.com/Pages/completing_your_quilt.htm

Have understood that tying a quilt was the simpler way to fasten the quilt together without all that stitchin'. Often buttons are used or even tacking stitches on some quilts. This works as a design element and a fancy tieing method...Remember though buttons should never be used on quilts for small infants for safety reasons. Tieing also gives it a folksy look and is much more casual. This can be done by hand or machine.

I have tied many quilts, and for baby quilts or those I don't want large knots on I use embroidery floss. Depending on the color chosen, it can add a design element to both sides. One advantage is that for smaller projects, I don't have to get out my frame. I love to do cloth only (no batting) quilts about 45 by 45 for babies. I have given away many, and the people who receive them seem to appreciate them. ( I finally started remembering to take pictures before I give them away!)

Sounds great! I too forget to take pictures of the quilts I make...and even with the ones I remembered to take....they are currently packed in storage right now. Am hoping to do better now I use the computer for almost everything.Will look for postings of your wonderful work.

Blog Entries
    I have had the hardest time threading and getting yarn through the "sandwich". What size or kind of needle do you use? I end up using pliers (sp?) to pull it through. I'm always worried about damaging the material.

I buy crochet cottons in the balls, extra fine or I use two strands of embroidery thread. I have a threader that looks like its made of thin blade metal with a hook on end, and use a needle with a big eye but as sharp as possible. :D

bj
    I use embroidery floss, mostly because of the color variety. I use all 6 strands, and it does get hard in places to pull through. To know how close to tie or stitch, I think it says on the batting what is ideal. I didn't know that until I was looking at a poly/cotton blend I'd never used and was reading the label.