Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't you love it when >

Don't you love it when

Don't you love it when

Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM

Default Don't you love it when

You decide to do some organizing, cleaning out, sprucing up, and you find things you didn't know you had. I thought I was out of 60mm rotary blades, and hadn't been using my large cutter, which I like the best, when I found a pkg of three new blades. Also found a pkg of bobbin washers, and a glue stick, both of which I've been searching for. So, my few minutes of organizing, which I've been putting off has paid off. It was a good job for this cold Sat afternoon, too cold to go out of the house.

What have you found that you didn't know you owned?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:57 AM

A marking pen that vanishes after 24 hours. It shouldn't be the pen that vanishes but apparently it must have. Don't know when I bought it.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 PM

It's nice to know that other people do this too. I will buy things and put them away for later and forget I have them and buy them again. At one time I had bought a large pack of rotary blades because they were on sale and I was sure I needed them. Got home, put them away and there was another package of blades still unopened. And fabric - I have bought the same fabric more than once. It's just who can resist a sale? I also have a large supply of sewing machine needles. Finally went to the extreme bought a bead box just for needles. I have all my sewing machine, quilting, embroidery needles separated.

Found a group of marking pens in a drawer in the living room - at one time the table was a sewing cabinet and I thought I had cleaned it out.

When I put my fabric on comic book boards - I was amazed I had over 150 different Christmas fabrics (just bought 10 more) and 80+ Halloween/Thanksgiving fabrics. Who knew there were so many. I didn't count my kids fabric, but I have a couple of boxes. Actually I was totally surprised at how much fabric I do have. Started giving a lot away and it still doesn't seem to be any less.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM

Yes, I am still looking for the roll of Golden Threads paper that I KNOW is somewhere in the sewing room!

I found it when I was reorganizing, but when I needed it recently - poof! Nowhere to be found!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Oh DARN ... I have to clean to find my lost stuff ... is that what your are telling me... darn, darn, darn. But I would rather sew. But then if I want that 'special/need it/want it' item I really, really should clean and reorganize.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

We have a big party once a year and about a week before I bought a yard of fabric to bind some stockings I was making for Christmas gifts. During the last minute Rambo-style cleaning (aka hiding stuff), the bag of fabric got stuck somewhere. After a week of searching, it was mid December & I finally went out and rebought the fabric. Normally, this makes the original item magically appear, but not this time. Just found it yesterday, under our bed.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:59 PM

Three weeks ago I tried to find my quilting mojo again and cleaned out my sewing area. (After almost two years of not sewing you cannot imagine how bad it was.) I found an entire quilt top that I had purchased at a garage sale. It is a queen sized Sunbonnet Sue, machine appliqued and ready to sandwich and quilt. I had rolled it up into a tight roll to keep it from getting wrinkled, put it in box with some other fabric and forgot about it. Sheesh! I thought a family member had taken an entire quilt kit after I had searched the entire house and storage unit and couldn't find it and gave up. I found it also. I am so relieved to hear that others have the same issues although I still feel like I am losing my mind sometimes.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
Three weeks ago I tried to find my quilting mojo again and cleaned out my sewing area. (After almost two years of not sewing you cannot imagine how bad it was.) I found an entire quilt top that I had purchased at a garage sale. It is a queen sized Sunbonnet Sue, machine appliqued and ready to sandwich and quilt. I had rolled it up into a tight roll to keep it from getting wrinkled, put it in box with some other fabric and forgot about it. Sheesh! I thought a family member had taken an entire quilt kit after I had searched the entire house and storage unit and couldn't find it and gave up. I found it also. I am so relieved to hear that others have the same issues although I still feel like I am losing my mind sometimes.
Wow, those are really great finds!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:35 PM

I bought a couple of Christmas Panels one year to make advent calenders. Could not find them for 2 years, finally found behind a large dresser when I moved it out to clean, my fur babies had knocked it down behind. I thought "well maybe they were out of them when I ordered, and I never got them" could not remember!!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 PM

I put things away and can't find them all the time. It really frustrates me..... I guess my mind can't keep up with my body. My DH is always telling me to slow down and think of where I'd put things. So, yes, I find treasures from time to time....... getting older does have it's struggles.