Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dose anyone here collect old wooden spools of thread?

Blog Entries

Dose anyone here collect old wooden spools of thread?

I just bought some "Made in America": Spun Dee thread by American Thread, from what I understand its the old Coats & Clarke, 1970's Polyester. Great thread! Here's part of my lot. There is tons more. I thought I would make ornaments to give my quilting friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Just passing through!

Many people collect them. After you use the thread you can fill a big clear jar with them. They look quite nice like that.

Wow that is awesome!! Love those spools! I hand quilt with some thread that was my great Aunts many many years ago and it is still strong thread. I think I had two boxes of it. With every stitch I think of her.

Yes, I do. I just bought a little lamp made from a spool of thread & plant on putting that into a wicker basket filled with other wood spools of thread for decoration in my sewing area.

Shari

I saw a really cool wreath made from spools of thread on Pinterest. I don't remember if I pinned that one or not but it shouldn't be all that hard to make.

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    How neat! I don't collect them per se, but I have some spools of thread from when I was a little girl and my grandmother used to use and taught me with. Have a Talon color 330 hot pink color that I actually used recently and it's still in great shape, a Spun Dee 449.5, a Star mercerized from American Thread Co marked at 15 cents for the spool and a handful of JP Coats between 30 and 35 cents. They are probably worth not a lot, but they are worth millions to me!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I collect them. I have many from my young days and from my mom's sewing days. I have a small collection, but am trying to get a bigger collection going. It's a slow process. I find them here and there.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Power Poster
    ​Way cool! After I used the thread I would find a project to use them in. I've seen little Santa faces carved into wooden spools for ornaments. They make nice ends on 1/4 inch wooden dowel for wallhangings, legs for doll beds and of course put into a jar for display. The little wooden boxes are cute too!

If they came in the boxes the thread is in, that's a great find too.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Yes I do!! Have one that was my Mothers, she used the thread to sew things on my Dad's Navy uniform during WWII They make great knobs on sewing cabinets in your sewing room. I also put them in baskets with old scissors and sewing things.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast