Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
double knit for quilting? >

double knit for quilting?

double knit for quilting?

Old 05-29-2011, 05:18 PM

Would you turn down an offer of tons of double knit fabric? A friend has offered to give me some and while I prefer cotton, I still think there is room for double knit in the quilting world. What do you think? Should I get it or would you pass? Would they work for charity lap quilts? They would certainly be warm. What about backing with bluejean material as the top? Any ideas?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:23 PM

It might work okay if you were using the double-knit for both top and backing, as it is stretchy. Or if combining with other fabrics you may need to overstarch it or stabilize it to prevent stretching while you are sewing.
It may also depend on the weight of the fabric itself....if like a tshirt knit, not bad, but heavy weight you would want to be more careful what you combine it with.
That being said.....lots of uses for it in other sewing applications, and it doesn't fray!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

I have several quilts made out of double knit. They are very warm . I have one Trip around the world made by my aunt out of 1 inch squares.I think they would make great charity quilts.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

I would not use double knit in a quilt. It is stretchy and you need to use special needles so you don't rip the stitches. Any time you cut it, it tends to come undone. But that's just me - I prefer woven material.

I do think that double knits can make great pillows. Nice and soft.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 PM

I made a quilt from doubleknit scraps back in the late 70's when it was popular. I used polyester batting and backed it with a sheet. I still use that quilt in the winter here in Michigan. It's heavy and very warm.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

in the 1960's and 70's a lot of quilts were made of double knit. Colors stay bright and they wear like iron. I would not use denim for backing as it would make them heavier and for me harder to work with.
Probably good use for charity quilts. Check out a group that makes "Ugly Quilts" I guess it is still around. That program made sleeping bags for the homeless. They did have a web site.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:34 PM

I have used hundreds of yards for charity quilts--just do not cut the pieces small, or you may learn some new words---
the stuff has a mind of its own and it STRETCHES!!!!
It never wears out--which is why I use it for charity quilts--they cant hurt them---
use a blanket or flannel sheet instead of batting so they can wash it easily--and I tie them--so quick that way....
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 PM

Double knit quilts were all the rage in the 70's and 80's. Then double knit became hard to find. When I worked at our thrift store, people would come in asking for old double knit clothes.

They made lap quilts mostly. Simple patterns - 4 patch or 9 patch or wide strips. They backed it with flannel and tied them. The nursing home still has some of those. They wear like iron, even with frequent washing.

They didn't bind them, just birthed them. You would have to use a ball point or universal needle.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:06 PM

I was given 3 trash bags full of poly material..Not sure yet what to do with it...
Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 PM

I was given a ton of it too and I got rid of it. Yuck. Sorry, my opinion!