Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
double needle quilting >

double needle quilting

double needle quilting

Old 02-08-2016, 01:51 PM

They are wonderful for sewing ribbons to fabric as long as you match them to the width of the ribbon first.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:37 PM

Actually the double needle gives a really nice stitch ON THE TOP, so it can be used for lots of things, just not the quilt in a sandwich. Top stitching around a design, giving a nice finish to a hem, etc. But that pesky zigzag on the bottom does show if the item is reversible. Try it, you might like it!
Old 02-09-2016, 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=dd;7458243]I've been told that I can use a double needle for quilting. I believe this. But...when I use a double needle I get a zigzag on the bottom. I don't want that on the back of my quilt. I'm told I need to thread my machine differently and I will have a double row on top and a double row on the bottom but I wasn't told how. Anyone heard of this? Can someone tell me how to do this?[/QUO

Just wondering?? What would happen if you put 2 threads into the bobbin and loaded BOTH needles?? HMMM imak

Just wondering?? What would happen if you wound 2 threads onto the bobbin, one for each needle??
Old 02-10-2016, 04:36 AM

This has been a very informative thread - thanks!! My machine is double needle but I've never used it before. Thanks to this thread I can see some great applications for it. Probably not quilting - but other super uses!!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:42 AM

You would still get the zig due to only one bobbin.

You can also use a decorative stitch on most machines with a twin needle. Two colors or more (drilling needle does 3)
and one in the bobbin. Just make sure you engage the twin needle button, or keep stitches under 4mm.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:10 AM
dd

Thank you all for your answers. I couldn't figure out how this could be done and I'm so glad you all agree and it's not just me. lol I do use them for ribbons and hemming knits as was mentioned. I used it for a stained glass quilt. That worked really well but it was a wall hanging. I used to make my kids those really wide leg jeans because we couldn't afford to buy them. I used them to top-stitch the side seam, just like real jeans.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:41 AM

Some of the videos show lowering the top tension on one of both threads (if you have a two tension machine) so that you get more of a straight appearing stitch on the back. So then you'll get more of a "line" look on the back.

I have a double needle machine with two tension dials, so I can balance one thread with the bobbin tension and have the other one significantly looser. I also have a hemstitcher with two needles and two bobbins, and will do a double row of stitching if the piercer is removed.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by imak View Post
Just wondering?? What would happen if you wound 2 threads onto the bobbin, one for each needle??
At best, if your bobbin was perfectly wound, you would end up with the same zigzag on the back, but with two threads together instead of one (like using two strands for cross stitch: both threads do the same pattern). More likely you would end up with a giant thread snag. Unfortunately, with only one bobbin mechanism there is no way to separate those two threads to give two lines of stitching.