Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double-Sided/Reversible Quilt without QAYG -- CRAZY?? >

Double-Sided/Reversible Quilt without QAYG -- CRAZY??

Double-Sided/Reversible Quilt without QAYG -- CRAZY??

Old 08-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Default Double-Sided/Reversible Quilt without QAYG -- CRAZY??

I'd like to do a reversible quilt without using QAYG. I'd like to quilt the back and the front onto separate battings and then join them together somehow. One side would be a fairly heavily quilted "traditional" sampler quilt -- with different quilting motifs in each block. The other side would use leftover pieces in the same colorway but be more "modern" looking with minimal quilting. The only way I can think of for doing this is to quilt each side onto its own batting and then put the battings together somehow -- maybe using fusible web or tacking them together unobtrusively so they won't shift. But, I'm concerned that 2 battings would make this too thick and the result too heavy since this would wind up as a generous twin size quilt.

Has anyone done something like this? How? Did it work? What batting did you use? etc.etc.

Thank you in advance for your ideas -- or for warning me off!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

The problem I had was that I pieced the back of the Bargello quilt using a much larger Yellow Brick Road pattern. I did NOT use two layer of batting but when quilting on my Bernina, there were occasional skipped stitches due to the bulk from seams intersecting from both sides. The front was a very detailed Bargello quilt
Attached Thumbnails yellow-blue-bargello-full.jpg   jaf-bargello-back.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Lots of folks double batt quilts, so I don't think the 2 batts are going to be a problem per se, but were you also planning on each having a backing prior to joining? that might put it over the top. I've used a layer of wool over a layer of w&n.
Not sure how you are going to keep the 2 layers together without some sort of stitching or tying. If there were backings on both, you could possibly use dots, or squares of fusible every so many inches. If there were no backings, however, using fusible between 2 batts would just pull apart. I would think about tying, using your machine to do bar tacks, or maybe add buttons? I also think you might have an issue with binding. Would definitely consider a wider binding.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:17 PM

I don't know the answer to your dilemma Teri D but I did want to comment on how gorgeous Maniac Quilter's bargello is! Just stunning!

I am interested to see what others say about this though as it is something I would not have thought of with double batting.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:21 PM

Since one side will be heavier quilting, could you quilt the intricate parts first on the traditional side, then put them together and do the rest of the quilting that you want. This way one side will have a lot and the other side would have a minimum of quilting. Also wouldn't need double batting. Haven't tried it, just a thought.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:50 PM

Maybe you could plan your quilting so there would be some straight line stitching that could go through both quilts after you have quilted the majority of them. It would take careful planning, but might be able to be done.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

well Sharon Pederson does reversible quilt as you go quilts but not individually like you are thinking.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

I've made lots of quilts with pieced backs using scraps from the front, but never one where I wanted different quilting front and back. I really think you need to have front and back tied together somehow, fairly closely, either with stitching or tying.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:16 AM

I agree that they would need to be stitched together in some way. I would adjust my planning to a pieced back that would look ok with the type of quilting you are planning for the front. If you can, plan ahead on thread colors for the bobbin that will not stand out on the pieced back.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 AM

I have done and am doing a reversible quilt now. I quilt the top and batting then put the two quilts together.