Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
double wedding ring question >

double wedding ring question

double wedding ring question

Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 AM

I bit off more than I could chew. I'm quite new at quilting, but wanted to create a wedding memory wall hanging for my daughter. She was married in Hawaii and I fell in love with the fabrics. I went ahead with the double wedding ring pattern. as a result the corners of the squares don't match up like they should. Some are worse than others. What a learning experience. Does anyone have an idea about what I could put around these embarrassing mismatched squares? I have embroidered things in the middle and used pictures in other centers. There are 9 circles altogether.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:00 AM

Go ahead, quilt it and don't worry about it. Every marriage has a few rough spots in it. Tell them that you left the mistakes in to show them that even though they may have some times when they don't quite "match up", they can still make it through to the finish line. Instead of being considered mistakes they will come to be cherished flaws.
That would be my solution.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:05 AM

Thank you. Love the attitude. Right on.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about ?

Did you use the corner---cornerstones, can you make them bigger ?
I am talking about the red squares in the picture
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87922.jpe  
Old 06-24-2010, 05:13 AM

I made this quilt for my oldest grandson and wife for a wedding gift and did not use the red squares, only the double circles. I would not worry about the mistakes as they will appreciate your efforts and love it completely. Carolholly
Old 06-24-2010, 05:35 AM

I agree with the others. they will love it. If you think about it, if they don't quilt, they more than likely will not notice mistakes only you will because you know they are there. I made a double wedding ring for my daughter who got married in Jan. I started it and changed patterns several times before i finally ended using Eleanor Burns applique pattern, which I didn't want to. I wanted to do it the old fashioned way but I was running out of time. Yes, there were mistakes but noone seemed to notice, unless I told them. lol
You might consider appliqueing a square block over the corner squares. I'm sure it is beautiful, though.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Google Goddess

can you applique over it
Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
can you applique over it
I went to Joann's and found some small appliqued iron on hearts that I can place discreetly over the most offensive corners. I liked the idea of appliqueing over the whole squares but I've used up all the fabric.

Thanks so much for all the ideas. I'll post a picture when I finally finish it. Now I need to learn how to "free motion" quilt. Any tips on this would be appreciated. I use a Pfaff machine and still need to get the foot.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM

I love hearts! Can't wait to see pics. I had mine quilted with a LAQ. She put lots of details in the blank spaces. If I could figure out how I would post a pic. Maybe one day. lol