Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double wedding ring success >

Double wedding ring success

Double wedding ring success

Old 05-02-2015, 02:36 PM

Oh my, Tippytoes, congratulations on your renewed motivation. I know exactly how you feel. I am also a self-taught quilter, learned all I know by examining those quilts my grandma did before she passed away. She hand-pieced every one she made, and I'm not doing that. The first quilt I ever did was a crib-size baby quilt made for my niece and her first daughter. It was a Sunbonnet Sue machine applique, and it was NOT easy. Of course, to be fair, I've been sewing all my life -- just not quilts. I hand-quilted the quilt and it's still in as good condition as it was when it was new. I was really proud of that quilt! and my niece cried when I gave it to her! My next big project was the razorback quilt which is pictured in my avatar. I didn't quilt that one, but I hand embroidered it, using solid satin stitch for the "razorback". Keep your motivation going. We all need encouragement from time to time, and those on this board are terriffic with all the help offered! One thing I did learn about and that is fabric that bleeds -- i.e., the red borders on the razorback quilt. I use a dye-setter product and any time I'm working with vibrant colors, I dye-set them, wash them and iron them before I begin cutting! Best wishes with your quilt, because even though you are gifting the quilt, it will always be "yours" in a way!

Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 05-02-2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: correcting sme wording
Old 05-02-2015, 03:07 PM

Jeanette how wonderful you had someone in your life who quilted. I am the first in my family, and I have inspired my mother to start because if my hobby!

I have to confess I've not washed my fabrics and now I'm a little nervous! I've cut the arcs out and some if the squares; would it be useful to wash them now, and hope they don't shrink? Any tips would be gratefully received.
Mx
Old 05-02-2015, 03:08 PM

PS. It's become a running joke that Lottie is going to cry when she receives the quilt! X
Old 05-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

A double wedding ring as your second project -wow! Congratulations.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:01 PM

Each of us has, "criteria", maybe a hidden one, on either being able to work in a messy room or a neat room, I'm one of the messy ones, although I do clean my room, when it gets too bad, but about 5 minutes after starting a new project, it's a mess. I do hope that cleaning and organizing your room will help you.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:36 PM

A big welcome from the state of Texas, USA. I look forward to seeing a picture of your double wedding quilt upon completion. Your color combitation sounds awesome. I know your friend will love it.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
A big welcome from the state of Texas, USA. I look forward to seeing a picture of your double wedding quilt upon completion. Your color combitation sounds awesome. I know your friend will love it.
Ditto from Texas- glad you are "on board". I made my daughter a green & cream queen size DWR quilt 6 or 7 years ago, and I used Cheryl Phillips' book and templates "Rings That Bind". Her method is sewing strips then using her arc template to cut the strips sure saved a lot of piecing. I don't know how your fabric will do now if washed, but I always wash my fabric before I begin a quilt and use Retayne to set my colors that might bleed. That DWR fabric had all been washed prior to making the quilt but the first time the quilt was washed one of the greens bled. It never came out no matter what I tried and the quilt has never been in a dryer.
You might get a small bottle of retayne and give with the quilt if you think one of the fabrics might bleed. I love it that your Mom has picked up quilting now-what fun the 2 of you can have. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:15 AM

Welcome back to the board Mags. Isn't this board great? I'm self-taught also, and this board is where I learned most of what I know. Can't wait to see your quilt, and I'll bet Lottie does cry when you give it to her.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:34 AM

Another welcome from Texas. So glad you found this Board. I visit daily for inspiration, tips, advice and to connect with other quilters (some of the best people ever!). Enjoy your journey and the process. Yes, it can be frustrating, but we all learn by doing. Can't wait to see pictures!
Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 AM

You go girl! I think working on a DWR for your second quilt is awesome. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned a cluttered sewing room. I frequently straighten mine up when I feel unmotivated or attempt something difficult. It just works. I look forward to seeing your post on you quilt. Your friend will love it.