Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dove in head first: FMQ

I made a very generous queen sized quilt and it will go on my bed. I decided that I would use this quilt to learn FMQ. I don't do pot holders and didn't want to use what little fabric I own on practice. I know it will be nowhere near perfect but that's fine by me. I am using this site to help me: http://daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm

(I know that the terms I am using are wrong but it's the best way I can describe what I mean)

My question is regarding my darning foot. The "circle" portion that hits the fabric is closed on my machine. The one that is used by Leah Day is open. I will attach photos to show the difference. Is it easier/better to use the open foot. I am having some trouble "seeing" where I have traveled especially when I have to go over a line I have already stitched (such as with pebbling).

closed: http://www.babylock.com/accessories/...duct_ID=ESG-TP

open: http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/gia...machine-2.aspx

BTW, I am using a babylock quilter's choice. I did see somewhere that a quilter had actually cut a foot open (cut the plastic)... Should I cut my foot open?? Does it make a big difference?

It's personal. I bought the Big Foot and I like it. That website you mentioned gave me the idea to modify it so that it doesn't "hop" but stays on the fabric all the time. I like my setup now. I use a Babylock Quest to do all my quilting. What has helped me, too, is larger needles for thicker thread. Makes a real difference!

I'm using an open foot and cussing at it. Yes, I like the increased visibility of the open foot, but I baste my quilts - I don't pin - so I'm constantly catching a basting thread on one of the feet. Going backwards is never a problem, just forwards. I have to use my finger tips to hold the basting thread down in place when I come to it.

And no, I don't clip my basting threads, I sew over them. I use water soluble thread :)

So ... do you pin, baste, or spray? If you baste and you are sewing over the top of the thread then you'll cuss the open toe. If you baste but snip the thread first, or use pins, or spray baste - then you'll probably enjoy the visibility of the open toe.

For me it's a trade off. I'll cuss the thread catches and keep the visibility.

You would be able to see better with an open toe. Not sure about cutting the plastic. I'm sure it's possible, but without the proper tool to do so, I would be afraid of a rough/jagged edge that would then snag fabric. Good luck! Love that web site!

Anyone ever cut theirs? How?

I see that you have the babylock quest and the "big foot" works. Would it work on the babylock quilter's choice? And what sized needles do you use and what thread. I am determined to become proficient in FMQ on my machine.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    wow! thanks for the day style design link!

My hubby cut mine using a saw specifically for cutting metal and he de-burred it with a file.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but like I say, it is personal.
    I use heavier thread to quilt with.......usually about 40 and I use at least a size 90 needle.

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Anyone ever cut theirs? How?
    yep just like Leah shows on her video and I love it!!!! Her tips made my FM alot easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast