Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drafting complex blocks >

Drafting complex blocks

Drafting complex blocks

Old 11-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Twelve inches.

And THANKYOU!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:34 PM

Ya that's pretty different I'm afraid...
Old 11-23-2012, 03:49 PM

From the drawings you posted I can see why you are having issues. You need to be more accurate with your point and line placement. For instance, on the second drawing look at the second horizontal line from the top that is on each side of the top star point. On the left side the line is just above the point it is supposed to connect with and on the right side it does connect. If you looks closely at your drawings, there are issues like this in numerous places. Drafting intricate designs is not for the faint of heart!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by lkms View Post
From the drawings you posted I can see why you are having issues. You need to be more accurate with your point and line placement. For instance, on the second drawing look at the second horizontal line from the top that is on each side of the top star point. On the left side the line is just above the point it is supposed to connect with and on the right side it does connect. If you looks closely at your drawings, there are issues like this in numerous places. Drafting intricate designs is not for the faint of heart!
And this is exactly my problem - it's hard! But I guess the only option is to keep slugging away at it?

When you draft things like log cabins etc, there are points on the graph paper that you can measure and go to, with this design you can't use the graph paper because the points don't land on measurable places along the graph.

From all the fantastic feedback and help I have received from everyone it seems to me that there isn't some kind of secret formula for making this easy, it's just hard and I have to keep drafting and be patient.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 PM

Does JB sell the pattern in the size you want?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
No, she doesn't but Vivian from this board has drafted the block for me now - with templates! I am incredibly grateful to her and will post back when I have some sewing to show.

Thank you so much, Vivian, after so much struggle on this...

Thank you...

Lainey
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
No, she doesn't but Vivian from this board has drafted the block for me now - with templates! I am incredibly grateful to her and will post back when I have some sewing to show.

Thank you so much, Vivian, after so much struggle on this...

Thank you...

Lainey
Old 11-25-2012, 03:18 PM

OK, making progress...

Here is the block from Vivian at eight inches printed out from my computer. I then scanned and enlarged it to twelve inches. She also gave me templates which I scanned and enlarged to fit a twelve inch block.

Lainey
Attached Thumbnails img_0042.jpg  
Old 11-25-2012, 04:10 PM

And here is what I have cut and laid out so far - unfortunately my camera is butchering the colors. The only thing I have sewn is the center star just to see if that was going to work. I didn't like the way the center octagon looked so I went with a star instead, but none of this is final. I'm not sure about the blue border stripe - the two stripes were just scraps since I'm not sure how to cut and piece those yet...the templates didn't include the stripes so I have to make my own temps for that.

So just a first draft, but I think I have the pieces cut properly other than the stripes - just absolutely no clue how to sew this together other than the center star...I guess all the succeeding pieces will have to be sewn into units and then set in?

Eek!
Attached Thumbnails img_0045.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM

Here is another version of the block - still experimenting with fabrics...
Attached Thumbnails unknown.jpeg