Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dresden plate help >

dresden plate help

dresden plate help

Old 12-31-2015, 02:59 AM

those are really pretty. I love dresden blades. I think they are just so cool. I hope to get a dresden template soon.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Prism99. If you made an accurate template without seam allowances cut of light cardboard, I think you may spot your problem. If you are just off the width of a needle, it all adds up very quickly. Sewing on the bias is so critical that is why I try to avoid it.

Quiltedsunshine, your blocks are beautiful!
Old 12-31-2015, 05:25 PM

mrodarme: Thanks for asking this question. I am having the same problem with one of my 1/2 plates. It also isn't quite a full 1/2 circle. I may need to redo a few seams.

I like the ideas and the YouTube video. Thanks to everyone that takes the time to answer questions so we can all learn.

Happy New Year!

Connie
Old 01-01-2016, 07:42 AM

i have gone back & done a lot of what was suggested, but couldnt find one specific thing throwing off the pattern..i appreciate all the suggestions, but this has been a lot of work...one more question -
do you press open the back seams, between the blades or around the circle in one direction...ive tried both, & like the all one way...but that seems to add to the nudging of the fabric going off...im not using any steam, but am starching...
thanks to all, i had an idea of these as wreath candle mats for xmas next year...i may rethink that...
Old 01-01-2016, 08:05 AM

If you are considering making candle mats (small projects, I LOVE them!), try sewing the blades right onto the backing fabric? Or even do a quarter circle, leaving a cross of fabric between 4, so it's a "focus" for the candle. No one need know that you had any problem at all! It would be unique and you could make a load of them in sequence, with minimal fuss and headache! As a matter of fact, hmmmmm, I think I might try one later today! LOL, now you've gone and done it!

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

you may have to lay it out upside down (wrong side up) and then pin the seams a bit starting from the inner circle area. just a bit. may only take a few to help it look better. then stitch one and lay out and so on until they look nice. starch does wonders, so for next cuts do that first.. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:44 AM

Did you check the template? I've had some that were not exact.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:44 AM

Are you sewing from the center out or from the outside in? I have made several DP and a lot of stack n whack circles and had this problem sometimes. My home ec teacher taught us to "pet the kitty" and if it rubbed the ends of the fabric wrong, you should sew the other day. I think the instructions said to sew from the center out. Following the kitty analogy, this would be wrong. Well, I finally tried it the other way, and the results and difference have been astonishing. I am now sewing from the center out. Don't know what difference is, but working so much better. I don't know whether starting in the center distorts less since you have fabric to guide or what. When you go the other way, it gets down to a sliver and it is very easy to pull or relax so you don't get your fingers caught.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:46 AM

I have made literally hundreds of these. Here's what works for me. First, I never prewash my fabric. Press with Best Press starch alternative before cutting. Cut strip of fabric to size of wedge. Never cut more than four layers at once and use a new rotary blade. When sewing together, start at the wide end. Start sewing down from the top about the width of two or three stitches and then backstitch to the top, then continue to the bottom narrow end of the blade. Do NOT chain piece. The backstitch serves a couple purposes... It lets the feed dogs have fabric to start on, which avoids distortion, and it also hides the thread tails inside the plate. (Always give the dogs a bite!.) I use a stiletto to keep the bottoms lined up. As others said, sew in pairs, then add one more blade between two pairs to make a group of five wedges. Make four sets of five wedges. Sew into half circles, then combine the halves. If they are warping at the bottom, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that either your seams are slipping or you may be pushing or pulling when sewing. Let the feed dogs do all the work. Other than that, when you sew two wedges, remove from machine and check your seam on the under side to be sure nothing has shifted. Just go slow and you'll get the hang of it. If you are one that normally prewashes, don't, then when your quilt is done add a couple Color Catcher sheets to the wash. Oh and my preference is to press all the seams in the same direction from the back side, then I turn it over and press the front, using a little Best Press. This is the method that works for me. Hope it helps you. Jan
Old 01-18-2016, 10:21 PM

Hi! I am attempting to make a 36 inch dresden plate and am having a hard time with the template size. Can someone help?