Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Dresden plate nifty notions 22.5 degree ruler

Blog Entries

Dresden plate nifty notions 22.5 degree ruler

I am wandering if anyone could tell me how to enlarge it if there is such a thing. I am not putting it on a block. I need to enlarge it to make a 30" flower?

Have you tried extending the lines of the ruler on newspaper, using a second ruler? Just draw the ruler, and use a second ruler to extend the lines to the needed length. If you know how big the ruler makes the dresden, you can estimate how much more you need to make the size you want.

Good answer ladeg

Enlarging

Quote Originally Posted by toucanbear View Post
    I am wandering if anyone could tell me how to enlarge it if there is such a thing. I am not putting it on a block. I need to enlarge it to make a 30" flower?
    Try enlarging it by using a copy machine.

I made a dresden ruler out of plastic folder, sharpie , protractor and some trigonometry.
    I guess you could extend the lines of your ruler on plastic folder material. Cut that out and stick it to the end of your ruler.

I took my dresden plate templete to our local office supply and they scaned it into the computer and printed me out a pattern of 15 inches and one of 20 inches

TAke it to the nearest office supply and have them put the ruler you have on the copy machine and enlarge it in 10 percent increments. I'm not "Mathy" enough to tell how big it will have to be, but I do know that my Easy Dresden template by Darlene Zimmerman makes a plate that just fits a 14 inch block if I cut on the 5 inch mark. I don't know how large it would be if I cut on the 8 inch mark, but you have piqued my curiosity and by George, I am going to do that this very day. Thanks for the suggestion, even though you didn't know you were making it. froggyintexas

Hi, all. I got busy with the Darlene Zimmerman ruler, made the largest possible and it measures only 17 inches from point to point. It will look great on a 22 inch base, but I don't know how it would look on a 30 inch block. I have learned that the extension has got to be at the top, at the wide part of the fan, if that helps unless you are going to go to the copy shop and have it blown up. Good luck, froggyintexas

Blog Entries
    I have a 10 degree wedge ruler that I extended. I had my brother cut the addition out of plexiglass. I laid the ruler on a sheet of paper and took a ruler and extended the lines of the ruler. He cut the wedge out of plexiglass. I use wide pacing tape and tape it on the end of the ruler when I need it. WOrks great. You just need to be a little careful when you cut past the seam in the ruler. If you arent careful it will catch on it.

Blog Entries
    Just go to kinkos
    Mary