Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dresden plate >

dresden plate

dresden plate

Old 10-24-2010, 02:21 PM

Hello everyone
I have made a dresden plate and I would like to use it as a candle mat. Saying that I have no idea how to finish the back. I know I have to cut some kind of circle and hand sew it on but I don't know how big or small to cut it and I would like the points to be free from the back.
Has anyone done this if so could you please help me
Thank you
Nonnie
O H I O
Old 10-24-2010, 02:52 PM

I haven't done it...but is sounds like you want the outside of the finished product to be the points of the dresden only..is that right? You might be able to do it by doing a pillowcase style backing ...and trim out the details after you sew the backing to the front.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 PM

I am doing these now, take the plate you made and place it right side together on top of you backing fabric (right sides facing) stitch around the whole dresden plate. Pull it inside out thought the center hole. Cut a circle at least twice as big as your hole in the center, cut a smaller piece of cardboard circle. Do a running stitch around you fabric circle, pull the threads around your cardboard circle, press with your iron, bend the cardboard to get it out, place you circle in the center of the plate and blind stitch in on, hope this helps! Lace
Attached Thumbnails attachment-93142.gif  
Old 10-24-2010, 04:22 PM

Kate

I am not sure what pillow case backing is. Yes you are correcton the dresden points. If I cover the details then I wouldn't have to trim them out would I?
Old 10-24-2010, 04:26 PM

Thank you Lace. I will try that first thing in the morning. The center circle is similar to a yo yo but reversed correct
Old 10-24-2010, 04:31 PM

please let me know how you make out and post a pic, hugs Lace
ps - I learned by trial and error, taught myself! first few attemps not so good, but now they are pretty good!

Originally Posted by nmeelia
Thank you Lace. I will try that first thing in the morning. The center circle is similar to a yo yo but reversed correct
Old 10-24-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by nmeelia
Kate

I am not sure what pillow case backing is. Yes you are correcton the dresden points. If I cover the details then I wouldn't have to trim them out would I?
what earlylace described is the pillowcase backing technique...no binding on the edges...sounds like you got the response you needed. good luck.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 AM

I just saw a show Sat. on this, it was Sewing with Nancy. There is a book you can order from her web site.