Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Dresden Plate table topper question

Dresden Plate table topper question

I picked up a dresden template at Joanns and came up with an idea for just a small table topper. I am only going to have 5" blades. My question is how can I determine how large of a square to cut for the background fabric. For some reason my mind is being "math" challenged today.

Thanks!!

Mindy

Well, I am not sure of the math either - but I have made the same dresden table topper with charm packs - 5" blades - anyway - I believe the background square was about 15" - I just made the dresden plate then measured it and decided how big I wanted the background to be - worked out great.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The dresden plates in this quilt were cut from 5 inch charm squares and were centered on 16 inch backgrounds. Tip to tip across they measure 11.75 inches. I used the Darlene Zimmerman easy Dresden template. With that one, the blades are cut flat on the top, stitched together and turned under.

Dresden Plate Finished

My dresden plate directions say 5" blades will equal a 12 1/2" plate and suggests a 14" block. You could always make the background bigger, it's your choice.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Thank you for the help and Lisa your quilt is beautiful!!

Mindy

Seriously???? You can make the backing as BIG as you want!!!! I've done a quilt with the background 1" wider on each side as the blade (when made up) and I'm doing one now with 3" on each side. It's your tabletopper....
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw