Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dritz Small Iron Quality >

Dritz Small Iron Quality

Dritz Small Iron Quality

Old 06-09-2016, 07:01 AM

Ialso have this iron and it is for sure a great little iron.
I keep it by my dsm and that works out for me. The only complaint I've had so far is the handle tends to get a little too warm if left on for a long stretch of sewing.
And the cost to me through Walmart.Com was really a good price.
Originally Posted by danydany View Post
Greetings.
I have a Sunbeam travel iron. It's the "Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot 800 Watt Compact Non-Stick Soleplate Travel Iron, GCSBTR-100-000". I've had it for a couple of years. On Amazon, it's currently about $12.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057UMYAW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_img

I like it a lot. It gets hot, and gets hot fast. It's an 800 watt iron. (The Steamfast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron mentioned by an earlier poster is only 400 Watts.)

I have never used the Sunbeam with steam, so I can't comment on that feature. Also, I have never used it overseas (220-240V), so I can't comment on that, either. The cord is nice and long. I'm a lefty but the side the cord comes out on is not a problem for me. The iron fits nicely in my hand.

The only downside of this iron for me is I use it at my sewing machine for pressing when I quilt/piece, and sometimes the seam allowance or end points of my project get "snagged" by the steam holes in the sole plate, and I get some puckers in my fabric. It's not a big deal to re-press, but can be annoying.

I keep this little iron set up next to my sewing machine, where it's a little workhorse with a small footprint. I recommend it.
...dany
Old 06-09-2016, 07:59 AM

I agree with Sewnoma on the little Steamfast iron from Amazon. Saw it at a few Sew Expos and also at quilt shows and Amazon definitely has the best deal if you have Prime. The best part about this little gem is the shape and that you can wrap your hand around the handle nicely and apply as much pressure as you need. I don't use the steam feature but it gets nice and hot and is easy to travel to classes or retreat with.