Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dryer after pre-washing?

I always put my fabric in the dryer. Never a problem.

I wash and dry everything. To me, there is no sense in wasting time sewing it if it isn't going to handle the washing and drying. Just my 'lazy' take on it :):)

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I did put mine in the dryer to dry and they came out perfectly. I didn't even have to iron, just folded them until I'm ready to start that project.

Its good to know I can do this :)

I wash and dry everything, i dry it all the way, if it's gonna shrink in any way, i want it done before it becomes a quilt, i want the person using it to know they can safely wash it and dry it for many years.
    Twisted stitcher, i love your idea! :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy M
    I wash and dry everything. To me, there is no sense in wasting time sewing it if it isn't going to handle the washing and drying. Just my 'lazy' take on it :):)
    I almost never prewash, but if i do, i agree. if it can't take the heat i don't want it in my kitchen. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by collettakay
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I did put mine in the dryer to dry and they came out perfectly. I didn't even have to iron, just folded them until I'm ready to start that project.

Its good to know I can do this :)
    sweetie ... you can do whatever YOU want. it's YOUR fabric. :wink:

cathy and barb, I agree with..tossing the fabric in the dryer..dry it! I want a quilt that is gonna hold up...so the fabric needs to be tested first!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb M
    I wash and dry everything, i dry it all the way, if it's gonna shrink in any way, i want it done before it becomes a quilt, i want the person using it to know they can safely wash it and dry it for many years.
    Twisted stitcher, i love your idea! :)
    My sentiments, exactly!
    Jo

I put it in the dryer to pre shrink. It is amazing how much the fabric will shrink. Different types shrink differently and when sewn together not prewashed you have problems.

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    I just didn't want to ruin it :cry:

MY fabric goes from the front door of my house to the laundry room. I do not do anything with it until it has gone thru the washer and dryer. If I think the colors might run I put it in hot water in a pan first and test it. I also use those "color catcher" sheets you can buy at the grocery store. Beats me, how they work but they do . Marge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2