Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Duh... (another satori)

Today I finally figured the correct way to cut with a rotary. Trim from the right (right hander) and cut, utilizing the ruler as a guide, from the left. The accuracy difference and the improvements were night and day.

Danged if I won’t figure this out yet. One stitch at a time… slowly I turn step by step.
    :D

bj
    and figure it out...inch by inch!

OK, you can turn the cutting mat around to trim the other side, too. Your great star blocks make us forget that you have not been at this longer.

Um Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here, so sorry for my 2 cents worth if I have. But just in case I haven't, what you describe sounds a tad risky. Cut away from your body where possable and when making horizontal cuts always keep the ruler between yourself and the blade. A simple guide I learned when using free arm saws, if you are crossing your arms to make the cut, you are putting yourself at risk. Not meaning to be a busybody just don't want you to be hurt.

Steve - Did you do the star in your avatar :?: Because if you did, it's hard to believe that someone who did a great job on that block is just learning how to use a rotary cutter. :lol: Just kidding :!: :!: :!: That star block looks great. Love the colors.

Yeah, I do all the avatars I put up snowb. ShellyQ, I still cut away from myself, though switching the fabric right to left was a problem. Thanks moonpi for the suggestion, I think I read that and just forgot to do it. :roll:

That's good to know Steve, after all we don't want anymore digits going up for auction round here :shock: :lol: