Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Duhhhh.  Loosen up >

Duhhhh. Loosen up

Duhhhh. Loosen up

Old 03-14-2015, 03:10 PM

Default Duhhhh. Loosen up

I'm trimming some blocks. My cutter seems dull. Thought it might need changing, but being lazy (having to move this to get to that, so I can open the drawer to get the blades, etc) I just kept cutting. Remembered a conversation about the blade having to turn as it cut. Looked at cutter and it was screwed all the way tight. What if I loosened it a little!? Ah ha! It worked a little better. Loosened it more, it worked even better. Well, you get the picture. Wonder how many good cutters I tossed thinking it was dull when maybe all it needed was a little room to do its job. We are taught to tighten something all the way; so try this before you toss. Couldn't hurt, might work!
Old 03-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Makes a person wish the things came with some kind of instructions. (oh wait, that would not help me. I hate reading them) lol
Old 03-14-2015, 03:26 PM

Mine wasn't turning easily so I took it apart, cleaned it real good and sprayed slicone on the inside before reassembling.

Much better!
Old 03-14-2015, 04:00 PM

Just wanted to add-I don't want anything loose on my cutter-those things are sharp!
Old 03-15-2015, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

OH, I totally agree with Boston 1954!!

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Makes a person wish the things came with some kind of instructions. (oh wait, that would not help me. I hate reading them) lol
Old 03-15-2015, 09:41 AM

Mine has a little curved 'washer' and I found that it does matter which way the curve faces. But it provides a tiny bit of space for the blade to turn. I have found the opposite problem--the screw holding the blade tends to loosen a bit over time. I've taken to checking each time I want to cut a bunch of stuff or am trimming a lot of blocks.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Mine has a little curved 'washer' and I found that it does matter which way the curve faces. But it provides a tiny bit of space for the blade to turn. I have found the opposite problem--the screw holding the blade tends to loosen a bit over time. I've taken to checking each time I want to cut a bunch of stuff or am trimming a lot of blocks.
I hate to prove my ignorance on certain subjects, but here goes: Duh -- so which way should it face. I can never remember which way it was originally.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:10 AM

I think the curvy middle faces outward. That's what seems to work for me. I tried it both ways and picked the one that works best.

I'm always making sure the screw is tight because I'm afraid of getting cut.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:17 AM

Oh I forgot to mention there's a thread on this board about caring for rotary cutters, scissors and shears
Old 03-15-2015, 11:33 AM

I'm surprised you had that problem. It seems to me a rotary cutter would be designed so you can't over tighten the nut for the blade.
Rodney