Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb, dumb! >

Dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb, dumb!

Dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb, dumb!

Old 10-31-2013, 01:41 PM

Default Dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb, dumb!

I don't know if anyone else has done this or not, but here's what can happen when you don't pay attention. I was doing some applique with my embroidery unit, when it locked up and said to check hook system. So I took out the bobbin, removed the throat plate and cleaned out anything I could find. The wheel would barely turn when I tried to turn it. I called the shop to see if there was anything else I could look for. There wasn't, so we concluded I should take it in. When I went to remove the thread holder, I discovered there was thread wrapped around the wheel. So I was thinking that was probably the problem. They just called to tell me I can pick it up and, sure enough, that's it. She said I won't believe how much thread is wrapped around the motor shaft. Such aggravation! Of course, it happened when I'm trying to get some mug rugs done for my sisters-in-law's visit in just over a week. I won't have to learn that lesson again!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:55 PM

I did the same sort of thing on my Brother. A cone of thead on a stand got caught up on the wheel and wound around. Cracked the plastic cover on the wheel. When I called about a replacement I was informed that to get a new cover on that machine I would have to replace the whole drive shaft. As it didn't affect the running of the machine I used it without the cover until the next trip to the shop where 'the Dr.' epoxyed the peices in place. I sure watch all my machines now to make sure that dosn't happen again.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:22 PM

I did the same , with a whole cone of thread . Somehow the thread got wrapped around the handwheel, the more I sewed the more got wrapped. Now I keep thread far away from my machine. SOrry you had to go through this. I know how I felt , when I found out the real problem. It was costly both to my wallet and my self asteem .
Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

This happened to my Brother 1500! My gosh, I spent hours unwinding thread but I was able to get most all out of the wheel. I never leave a cone or spool of thread anywhere near the wheel now.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
This happened to my Brother 1500! My gosh, I spent hours unwinding thread but I was able to get most all out of the wheel. I never leave a cone or spool of thread anywhere near the wheel now.
Wow, mine is a 1500 too, I think because of the speed they wind up faster!!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 PM

That happened to my Featherweight. Fortunately, I could take it apart; but it took hours to get all of the thread unwound. It was clear monofilament thread at that. Luckily, I got everything back together correctly. Like BellaBoo, I keep that cone away from the wheel now.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 PM

Thank you JudeWill for posting this thread. I have never had this problem but often sew with the cone holder right next to my machine. I won't be doing that again thanks to you and everyone else who warned against it. This is good information and thank you for sharing it.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Years ago someone at Houston taught me to tape a safety pin, with the little round circle end pointed up, to the top/back of the machine between the hand wheel and the thread uptake lever. Thread the cone thread thru the little circle and continue on with the usual thread path.

This has always helped me avoid the problem you describe.

Jan in VA
Old 10-31-2013, 08:50 PM

Thank you for sharing this information. I will be more careful where I place my thread before this happens to me.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:03 AM

I've never had that happen to me before. I'm going to really pay close attention when I use my machine. I don't use it often at all but now when I do, I'll be extra careful where I put that cone thread stand.