Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dumb flannel-prewashing question >

dumb flannel-prewashing question

dumb flannel-prewashing question

Old 03-25-2016, 04:48 AM
IQ2

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
I have made those blankets, and I have sewn them before washing. Instead of 40" square and 30" square, I made them 43" square and 33" square. I washed them when they were done and they came out fine. You really can't made them any bigger than 43" and 33" so they will come out the same size as washing the fabric first. Maybe bigger.
One hint though -- I found that things sewed better if I kept the fabric oriented the same direction. Mud?? Sew the WOF(stretchy) of the inside square to the WOF(stretchy) of the outside square. And of course the LOF of the inside to the LOF of the outside. I also left the turning opening on the LOF side, so that they didn't get stretchy when trying to sew the opening closed. Everything seemed to go together easier when I made sure of this. Have fun! Ann
Great advice!
Old 03-25-2016, 04:50 AM

There are tremendous differences in the quality of flannel-so beware. Good quality like Moda, Maywood and Benartex shrink only a small amount where as chain store flannel costs less and shrinks a lot. I always wash flannel once in hot water and dry in the dryer. Have had great success with doing it that way.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I wash and dry one time in hot water and hot dryer. Most people don't use hot water when washing blankets and I personally do not toss blankets in the hottest dryer setting, usually low heat.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I love Benartex flannels most, but the " woolies" flannels are really nice too, I think they are mods - but guessing. Any nice, heavy double sided flannels. I purchase most of my flannels from the local quilt shop, some from fabric.com. I love to feel them -- but, have never been disappointed with the ones I've bought on line. I just avoid thin, loosely woven flannels.
thanks for the info. I only used flannel for one baby quilt and was so disappointed. Got fabric from a LQS and pre washed it and it got pills. Completed the quilt and was never happy with it. Maybe I'll have to try it again with Moda.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:29 AM

I recently ordered some flannel for baby receiving blankets & burp cloths from Thousands of Bolts. It was good quality, good price. All shrank some in pre washing and drying. If I was going to cut it into pieces to make blocks I would have shrunk it one more time just to be sure. I also made 1 blanket from a cute Joanns flannel that I couldn't resist. That flannel is much lighter weight, shrank lots more and I think will pill.