Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Dumb" Hexie Question >

"Dumb" Hexie Question

"Dumb" Hexie Question

Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

I use a Go die to cut my hexies. I don't use paper I stitch them together using a 1/4 seam. It's a one step process and it I can sew a lot together in no time. Here is the back side of flower shapes I'm making.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]478701[/ATTACH]
No stitches show because no whip stitches needed.
Inklingo is a great way to cut and sew hexies. http://lindafranz.com/
Attached Thumbnails 1-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-11-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
Ooh, I've been considering getting the fiskars hexie punch...when I was looking at them online I couldn't work out what size they were...if I remember rightly the largest one was shown with a size of one inch, but it didn't specify whether that was along one edge or at the largest point across the hexie...can anyone clarify for me?
Sisty-I purchased the fisckar hex punch at michaels (used50% off coupon), came home all prepared to punch templates, and my hand is still recovering 2days later! I apparently purchased a defective punch. I live 40 miles from the closest michaels, so I emailed fisckar-packaging states " lifetime wattarnty...they informed me the model I purchased is no longer available, but they will send me the current model. It's listed as the x-lg hex punch on their website, and each side is 1" long. ($18) I tried my punch on all weights of card stock, and it took 2 hands to punch through some thin scratch paper. Here's hoping my replacement arrives soon and I can punch templates!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

i do 3/4" hexes, use the fiskers and use old manilla folders or scrap booking card stock. no problems.
a pic of my current quilt is in pictures under Lynnies Hexes. I've done gmfg in 3/4" also. No problems cutting the hexes either. try thinner paper or card stock. can only punch 1 layer at a time
Old 06-11-2014, 06:41 AM

Although I recently bought and am happy with, the new GO die for paper & fab cut at once, I was intrigued with this discussion on the fiskar punch, so I looked it......found one on eBay for good price..same size as GO die.....this way I can do " on the go" pattern cutting if necessary.......or not n the mood to pull out die cutter.......

Now I wonder if there is a diamond punch somewhere...that might be a cool challenge too....back to search......
Old 06-11-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Although I recently bought and am happy with, the new GO die for paper & fab cut at once, I was intrigued with this discussion on the fiskar punch, so I looked it......found one on eBay for good price..same size as GO die.....this way I can do " on the go" pattern cutting if necessary.......or not n the mood to pull out die cutter.......

Now I wonder if there is a diamond punch somewhere...that might be a cool challenge too....back to search......
I have searched and searched for a diamond punch. If you find one could you please let me know.where????
Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

The Fiskars hex punch is $16 for the large and $19 for the extra large on the Fiskars website. Very reasonable prices considering how many hexies it takes to make a quilt. The large for paper and the extra large for the fabric. Perfect combination. This would make a great gift for a quilt friend.

Iron fabric to freezer paper for perfect punches.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The Fiskars hex punch is $16 for the large and $19 for the extra large on the Fiskars website. Very reasonable prices considering how many hexies it takes to make a quilt. The large for paper and the extra large for the fabric. Perfect combination. This would make a great gift for a quilt friend.

Iron fabric to freezer paper for perfect punches.
Word of caution. My fiskars punch will NOT cut fabric. It's for paper or cardstock, it's not a blade but like a hole paper punch. If you can use it for fabric, your hands are much stronger than mine.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:20 AM

Fisckar Punches are made for scrapbooking. They are meant for cutting paper. Perhaps the paper you are trying to cut was too thick, thus the need to use both hands. Just wanted to give you a heads up, so you will not be disappointed when you get the new punch.

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
Sisty-I purchased the fisckar hex punch at michaels (used50% off coupon), came home all prepared to punch templates, and my hand is still recovering 2days later! I apparently purchased a defective punch. I live 40 miles from the closest michaels, so I emailed fisckar-packaging states " lifetime wattarnty...they informed me the model I purchased is no longer available, but they will send me the current model. It's listed as the x-lg hex punch on their website, and each side is 1" long. ($18) I tried my punch on all weights of card stock, and it took 2 hands to punch through some thin scratch paper. Here's hoping my replacement arrives soon and I can punch templates!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:17 AM

I've just ordered the xl punch :-) I'm excited now! The details on amazon said it will cut up to 210gm card...not entirely sure what that means but I shall have a looksy now as I want some decent card for my hexies!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
I've just ordered the xl punch :-) I'm excited now! The details on amazon said it will cut up to 210gm card...not entirely sure what that means but I shall have a looksy now as I want some decent card for my hexies!
I highly recommend that you don't use the thick rigid card stock. I started out making my hexies from the heat resistant Mylar template (which CANNOT be cut with the punch btw) and I found it very difficult to sew the hexies together. You need it to be flexible because you may need to be able to bend or fold the hexies to sew them together. I use pretty cheap "value" type of card stock with my punch. I get 20 hexies from each sheet. Some I reuse after removing them, others I just pitch depending on how beat up they get. You will really manipulate your quilt top while sewing the hexies together.

also, the punch will not cut fabric.