Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Dumb" Hexie Question >

"Dumb" Hexie Question

"Dumb" Hexie Question

Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

I haven't used the Fiskars punch for fabric but I have the Creative Memories hex punch that you push down like a big button and it cuts fabric when ironed to freezer paper. I thought the Fiskars would work that way too. I guess not since it is squeezed punched. I usually order the papers from paperpieces.com. So convenient if you like to use the papers. They have every shape for EPP.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 AM

Off to the goodwill store..always have boxes of thank you, birthday, invitations, etc. cheap.......good for hexie patterns
Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 AM

I bought a pack of 300 hexies by paper pieces, but as I am in the UK it cost quite a lot! I found the xl hexie punch for about the same price as the pack of papers so I figure it will work out cheaper on the end if I can just punch my own papers. I was planning on getting a nice big pack of cheapy card to use when I can find some :-)
Old 06-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Free hexie templates - including diamond. Print, cut with an old rotary cutter blade (or scissors - NOT THE FABRIC ONES she says, screaming ) http://sewquickly.com/1-hexie-template-free-download/ A nice tute:
http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.co...templates.html

I have the Fiskars XL punch; it works great on cardstock - and my fav is the multiple subscription cards that come in every magazine.

Although I am just starting w/ hexies, I am fussy cutting. A great tute: http://luannsloosethreads.blogspot.c...-tutorial.html
Old 06-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Okay...I am understanding that most of you cut your fabric into squares, then trim after hexie is basted. Is this correct? How much larger do I make the square than the finished hexie? 1/2", 1"...this is where I get stuck now. Thanks.

BTW, buying cards, etc. at thrift shops is a great idea! I've been using recycled file folders with my Fiskar's punch.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Okay...I am understanding that most of you cut your fabric into squares, then trim after hexie is basted. Is this correct? How much larger do I make the square than the finished hexie? 1/2", 1"...this is where I get stuck now. Thanks.

BTW, buying cards, etc. at thrift shops is a great idea! I've been using recycled file folders with my Fiskar's punch.
I am using the Fiskars punch and it makes 1" hexies and I am using 2 1/2" squares. I don't have extra fabric to trim after making the Hexie
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-13-2014, 02:19 PM

THANK YOU ALL!!!! Now off to try to make some hexies...will let you know how I make out.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM

I'm not using squares, I'm using scraps so my fabric starts off all kinds of weird shapes. I pin my hexie template to the fabric and then sort of roughly trim the fabric down to a hex-ish shape, trying to leave somewhere between a quarter-inch to half-inch of fabric around the template.

I was taught to baste right through the paper but I used cardstock, so I've copied what I saw others here posting and just put a couple stitches at each corner. Seems to be working great! I sure am slow though, I only can do about 5 or 6 in a sitting before I get sick of it. I really am not much of a hand-sewer but I'm determined that eventually I will make enough of these that I can do something with them!

I haven't joined any together yet but I don't think that part will be hard. It will take me forever, but it won't be hard!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:14 PM

Doesn't anyone else use freezer paper? Just iron it on and proceed as normal. I like that much better than cardstock. Very cheap, too.