Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ? Duvet cover

? Duvet cover

I have a queen sized quilt top that I want to give to my son for his wedding. He likes it but doesn't want to give up his down comforter. We decided that I would make the top into a cover for the comforter. Seemed easy in my mind-just pillowcase top with something soft (his words) for the back. The more I thought about it, I need to attach the top to something to cover the seams. I've decided to attach it to a queen sized sheet and then back it with a fleece blanket.
    Now my questions 1) when I sew the top to the sheet should I pillowcase that or sew it flat with raw edges exposed. 2(When I sew the top/sheet to the back should that be pillowcased since the fleece wouldn't ravel? I plan to put buttons and buttonholes at the bottom edge.
    Hope this makes some kind of sense. I have till October to get it done.
    Thanks.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I would sew the top flat to the sheet with raw edges exposed and then pillowcase that to the back. Good idea.

I agree. I made a duvet cover years ago for DH's old comforter and did it that way. Buttons and buttonholes worked perfectly and we still use it. I did tie it to the comforter with knotted 6-strand embroidery floss to keep it from shifting.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
    I would sew the top flat to the sheet with raw edges exposed and then pillowcase that to the back. Good idea.
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but it seems to me that the top edge of the quilt top would need to be finished before it is attached to the back (unless the opening in which to insert the duvet is at the bottom of the 'quilt."). I t hink I would put the sheet and the quilt top right sides together, stitch the top seam, turn to the right side then proceed to sew the "pillowcase" to attach the back, sewing the side seams and the bottom seam. Am I truly confused?

I've never made a duvet cover and I look forward to the responses to this thread.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Essentially you are making a queen sized pillowcase and the top of the pillowcase will have two layers of fabric, the quilted layer and the queen sheet. The bottom layer of the pillowcase will be fleece. You will insert the comforter instead of a pillow. Then you will close the pillowcase with buttons and buttonholes enclosing the comforter. A serger will make this whole thing much easier and faster with these long seams.

I agree and did that once and worked great.n for part of the year I also leave my down comforter as is and use a bed runner.

Sounds good to me and I think it a good idea to tie it every so often or the insides will slide to the botttom.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    AmyButler has a duvet cover quilt free pattern. Here is the web site. Scroll down a ways and it will show up. I can't seem to open the free pattern on my computer, perhaps you can.

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/produ..._patterns.php/

Quote Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
    AmyButler has a duvet cover quilt free pattern. Here is the web site. Scroll down a ways and it will show up. I can't seem to open the free pattern on my computer, perhaps you can.

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/produ..._patterns.php/
    That won't open up on my computer either.

The way that I make mine is to make the quilt top with batting and a muslin back. This is then quilted as normal. Then the backing is attached with the binding and a opening made for the duvet to go inside. In summer you can just have the quilt and in winter you have the extra warmth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast