Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: dye set

I I saw on here , about getting something to put in the wash to set dye- or pick up excess dye. Like a dummy I have a rag quilt ready to give my DL and before I give it a wash I want to try something. The scraps I used, I don't remember if I prewashed. :shock: :roll:

to catch the dye they are called "DYE CATCHERS" usually in the laundy section and most fabric stores carry themm too. there is a product called Synthrpol that takes out the loose dye from the fabric and washes it away

I saw an ad on tv for Woolite's new laundy soap that prevents stray color from landing where it shouldn't. Has anyone tried it yet?

Blog Entries
    the good things about synthropol are that

(1) it works very well; (2) a very little bit goes a long way, so
    (3) it's very inexpensive over the long haul;
    (4) it doesn't fade fabrics or cause them to bleed. it only carries away the die that hasn't "sunk in" and bound itself to the fibres.
    (5) it doesn't leave a residue, harm your skin, or change the way a fabric feels.
    (6) the fumes won't get you stoned. (wait. is that a good thing? or a bad thing? :wink: )

the bad thing about synthrapol is that, although there are no fumes, per se, it still manages to stink to high heaven. simply wash your quilt a second time in whatever you normally use.

:) Thanks , all. I hope they carry it in BI-LO or Handcock fabrics

Blog Entries
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/

theirs are usually the lowest prices if you have to buy online

Except if you live in California, where you pay state sales tax as well as shipping.

I have some red fabric that has a lot of dye in it. I am soaking it in hot water. Is there anything else I can to to get the dye out before I use it in a quilt? Thanks for your help - Linda

I use Retayne and it works on reds. Even those reds that keep turning the water pink for 3 washes. I find it at LQS but call first as not all of them have it. It's about $7-7.50 per 16 oz. It takes a teaspoon per yard of fabric in hot water.

I tried the Retyne and still the red bleeds. I tried putting vinegar in the water and soaking it too. Nothing seems to work!! Linda