Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dying batting, help

Dying batting, help

I need a black batting for my quilt but cannot find any in the quilt shops where I live,. Has anyone ever dyed batting?
    Thanks

You can buy black batting online. From several sources. Fabric.com, Hancock of Paduckah, Keepsake quilting. I am not sure I would want to wrestle a bed size batting , or have a pot/container large enough.

Famous longarm quilter Karen Mctavish attempted dying batting and it was a complete disaster for her! She tells about the incident in her book "Elemental Quilting". Don't risk ruining your quilt, buy the black batting on line if you can't find it locally.

Many places offer on line. If you don't have a credit card, go out and buy a prepaid one that you can use to purchase on line.

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads has black batting also.
    Bernie

Black dye would never wind up turning batting black anyway...just a very dirty gray. Really nasty in every way. It's easy to find online as more and more companies are now making it.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I agree, I buy them online!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    You can buy black batting online. From several sources. Fabric.com, Hancock of Paduckah, Keepsake quilting. I am not sure I would want to wrestle a bed size batting , or have a pot/container large enough.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Blog Entries
    Most cotton batting is a cotton/poly blend, and polyester does not take dye. Ghostrider is right, it would end up gray. Not to mention the probability of the dye bleeding for several washes!
    I'm with the rest of the crowd - buy some black batting from an online source.

Buy the black, don't waste your time trying to dye it. It will just be gray and you probably won't be happy and you'll still have to buy the black.

Blog Entries
    even JoAnns on line has it. I would not want to even think about dying batting black. What a mess it would be in my house and I would never feel right that it might bleed later.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Famous longarm quilter Karen Mctavish attempted dying batting and it was a complete disaster for her! She tells about the incident in her book "Elemental Quilting". Don't risk ruining your quilt, buy the black batting on line if you can't find it locally.

Many places offer on line. If you don't have a credit card, go out and buy a prepaid one that you can use to purchase on line.
    Yep, I read that also. I found black batting online f rom Connecting Threads I believe.
    Wendy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast